Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default GEW98/ K98k question?

Does anybody know if the wood stocks used for Mauser Gewehr 98 rifles and K98k rifles are interchangeable? Aside from the shorter barrel length of the K98 is there any other difference? (My understanding is the bolts are interchangeable also. Is this true?)

Reason I ask is because I have a really nice customized/ cut down wood stock and bent bolt originally from a WWI GEW 98 which I would like to use, I just figure a K98k barreled receiver will be easier to find than a WWI-vintage rifle.

Thanks for any responses!
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: GEW98/ K98k question?

98 mausers are basically 98 mausers, unless its a small ring or a yugo it should be interchangeable between all the various makes Bolt is a maybe, you will need to check the headspace to make sure its OK to fire.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: GEW98/ K98k question?

Depending on if the rear sight is present or not and how it was inletted that may need a little adjustment, possibly the barrel channel too as I can't recall if there is a difference in where the steps are on the barrels but other than that the major stuff like the action should be fine.