Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Do you use DA/SA or drive a stick?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I carry, compete with, and/or train with a DA/SA pistol.

18 26.47%
  • I drive a stick.

11 16.18%
  • I carry/shoot DA/SA AND drive a stick.

32 47.06%
  • I don't do either.

7 10.29%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default DA/SA - the manual transmission of handguns?

Less than 3% of cars come with manual transmissions now. I wonder what the number is for DA/SA. How many of you still shoot DA/SA? How many drive a stick?

Double-Action Semi Pistols Have Become The Manual Transmission Of Handguns
    Sam Hoober
    October 15, 2017
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...sion-handguns/

Not all that long ago, not knowing how to drive a stick shift was a statistical oddity. Plenty of automatic transmission cars were sold, but just about everyone learned to drive a car with a third pedal. Heck, it was even advantageous to have one; automatic transmissions usually had only three or four gears until the 1990s and a 5-speed manual got you marginally better gas mileage.

Then there’s the sheer fun of manually shifting gears. Nothing better than rowing gears on a back road, even if American carmakers didn’t seem to understand that whole “handling” thing until a few years ago (or that – in the case of Chevrolet – vehicles shouldn’t explode promptly at the 110,000 mile odometer mark).

Today, though, a manual transmission serves as a theft deterrent since almost no one under nobody under 50 knows how to drive them anymore.

Which brings us to the double-action trigger.

Up until the 1980s, there were precious few single-action pistols being made among manufacturers. There were 1911s, Browning Hi Powers, single action revolvers like the Colt SAA and its clones, and that was about it. (There were a few target pistols too.) Aside from that, double-action triggers were more or less the default layout.

Revolvers and semi-autos both had long trigger pulls, though semi-autos usually (except for DAO models) have the hammer cocked by the slide after each shot and therefore go into single-action after the first shot. This was advantageous from the standpoint that it prevented accidental or negligent discharges, which is also beneficial if carrying a pistol in a concealed carry holster.

Even police were well-served with the double-action trigger with fewer unintended discharges. But a long 10- to 13-pound trigger pull tends to result in firing only when it’s intended.

Today, however, the handgun market is dominated by the poly-striker pistol. Though technically not single-action (striker-fired pistols actually partially cock the striker when the slide is actuated, meaning they’re halfway between DA and SA) the plastic fantastics have light, short trigger pulls. Almost anyone can use one with ease.

Granted, a lot of those triggers are also rather “numb.” You just don’t get the feel with a striker-fired trigger you would from a revolver or old Smith & Wesson auto, a CZ 75 or a Beretta 92. It’s not the case (at all) that every DA/SA gun has an amazing trigger and the plastic guns are all bad. Quite the opposite in fact. It’s more that the longer, harder initial pull of a double-action gun requires a person to employ a bit of technique that a striker trigger just doesn’t, or at least doesn’t to the same degree.

Kind of like driving a manual transmission car.

Learning how to balance the clutch and the throttle on an incline is an art…though some people cheat and use the parking brake…as is gaining the sensitivity to know when the you’ve disengaged the clutch and can start accelerating. There’s a feel to it that’s impossible for someone who’s never driven one to appreciate. A manual also adds a certain something to the driving experience that an auto just doesn’t.

Similarly, a double-action pistol is something everyone should try, or better yet own at some point. You appreciate a short, light trigger pull even more and definitely begin to understand the importance of follow-through, something that matters a lot with a DA/SA pistol.

It was how our fathers and grandfathers learned to shoot, and just like the manual shifter, it’s becoming something of a lost art. However, there do appear to be just enough people out there who still prefer the old ways to keep both of them going.

Default Re: DA/SA - the manual transmission of handguns?

Da all the way.

(Jefferson County)

DA/SA carry, and can drive stick(although present vehicles are auto).

Unless my gun is DA only, I always shoot in SA mode. I hate long sloppy trigger pulls and it only takes a fraction of a second to cock the gun, something which I'm accustomed to doing.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Beretta 92fs all the way! Ultra reliable. Never had a light primer strike, but nothing a second pull of the trigger wouldn't resolve.

-Zach

(Lehigh County)

I don't drive a stick, but I carry a CZ DA/SA. I have plenty of striker fired pistols but really love the DA/SA ones

(Lycoming County)

I have a CZ 82 on my hip right now. I don't own anything that's stick anymore, but when I get to work later I'll be heading out in a 10 sp manual, so I get plenty of practice still.

(Allegheny County)

I can drive a three on the tree... so what's the trigger equivalent of that?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    SA revolver. If you're that old you probably started out carrying one.

(Susquehanna County)

More like a black power blunderbuss
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

But can you powershift one?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast