Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default "MBR" decision...

I have the opportunity to get one of these three "MBR's"
    My problem is, I need some help deciding which one.
    I want a HK91, but that is just not in the budget right now.
    If anyone has experience with any of the following rifles, suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated.
    What do you think?

1. Century Arms C91 Sporter .308

2. CETME Rifle .308

3. New Century sporter FAL .308
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: "MBR" decision...

I vote for the CETME...just because it looks cooler! LOL

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

The first two on your list are basically the same rifle.

I've fired all of them and like them equally.

(Lycoming County)

I like the cetme. Shoots good and nice looking
    Last edited by CPratt; September 18th, 2008 at 10:14 AM.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Cumberland County)

Take a look at this thread
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rifles-42...tml#post428636

Go for the FAL. You'll be very happy that you did.

I'm happy to see that you have narrowed your selected rifles that shoot a real cartridge - not the almost worthless 5.56 or 5.45 rounds.
    Last edited by daschnoz; September 18th, 2008 at 11:11 AM.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Philadelphia County)

I own both a Cetme and FAL, both from Century.

YOU MUST DO YOUR RESEARCH if you are buying a CETME, know what to look for, or you could end up with a costly lemon. Head over to militaryfirearm.com, thats a forum dedicated to these types of rifles, and they are the uttermost Cetme experts on the planet. They are also real good people there. They'll take good care of you.

The FALs are mostly good, the way its been explained to me, is that first batches that Century built were crap, until they got the hang of it, at which point, their FALs are just as good as any other FAL out there, minus all that fluff that is super fancy high-quality parts, cryogenically treated barrels and whatnot.

Both my rifles are AWESOME, and I truly love both of them. The Cetme is more accurate and very, very low on recoil. You can barely feel the .308 firing out of it. Its also LOUD, and if you stand behind, or to the sides as it fires, the "bang" will slap you on the face. If you like to reload, you won't like the Cetme, as it flings brass at least 30 feet away, and dents the crap out of it. You would certainly NOT want to reload brass that has been put through a Cetme.

The FAL is cool too, its much bigger than the Cetme, and heavier too. You hold it and feels like something you would want with you in times of war or civil unrest. That thing is just a beast. It recoils but it doesn't hurt, its much easier to clean and dismantle than the Cetme, and fires just as well.

None of these weapons will prove to be tack-drivers out of the box, unless you heavily modify them, in which case, you are better off getting something else entirely.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Chester County)

I bought a Cetme from Century a few years back. Loved the look of the gun, but it shot 8" left at 50 yds, with the sights regulated as far over as possible. Sent it back to Century and it came back a few weeks later shooting exactly the same. I'm not sure what if anything they did to it! Called them up and complained, sent it back again, and waited another few weeks for its return. This time it shot 4" left at 50 yds. Lost my confidence in the Cetme and Century and sold the gun at a show a few weeks later for a loss. I'm sure it could have been corrected, but I don't have the expertise or patience for for working on a brand new gun. I have been very reluctant as a result to buy anything from Century ever since. Maybe their quality control has improved since? This was several years ago since my bad experience.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    None of these weapons will prove to be tack-drivers out of the box, unless you heavily modify them, in which case, you are better off getting something else entirely.
    None of them were designed to be tack drivers in the first place. They were designed to be minute of bad guy. If you aim at the button on the guy's shirt, do you care if you hit the button? If the bullet is 2" to the right, is that close enough? Should we ask the guy on the ground with the hole in his chest?

If you do your part, you can expect no worse than 2 minutes our of a stock FAL with mil surp ammo. Slightly better if you roll your own and take great care in the process.

Remember, these guns were designed for use in combat where you never know what conditions you will end up in, and where the ammo you are shooting came from.
    How good is the QC of the ammo that you are shooting? Some countries have better QC than others. Because of this, generally, the chambers are cut on the large side, and the leade is also a bit longer than you may find in a bolt gun - both to make sure that a slightly out of spec round will feed, chamber, fire, and extract. Both of these effect accuracy.

If you look, you will find that the original M-14 spec. was for a 2 minute gun. That's what Springfield delivered. The military brass (being of precision shooter roots) didn't like this. The M-16 originally wasn't a tack driver either.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

You could also look for a springfield...ptr I think it's called, same think as the HK91 i believe.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    You could also look for a springfield...ptr I think it's called, same think as the HK91 i believe.
    JLD makes the PTR91. It is very nice, but I know nothing about them either.
    I could get a newly built one of those from Atlantic Firearms. They also have Imbel FAL's

JLD PTR91 16" barrel

JLD PTR91 18" barrel
    Last edited by RONNIE77; September 18th, 2008 at 11:42 AM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast