Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Thumbs down Gun show turnout was low-hall was HOT !!!

The effects of the $4.00 gasoline and higher prices of food,utilities,insurance,etc. sure has affected the turnout at our local gunshow.
    Apparently most people have a lot less discretionary $$ to buy toys.
    The PGCA gun show at Greensburg last weekend had the fewest attendees of the four held there this year.
    There were fewer dealers than the last show in June,and with the inside conditions this last weekend,some dealers packed up Saturday.
    The Event Center had no air conditioning and no exhaust fans on Saturday.
    Temperatures inside the main hall reached 92 on Saturday.The front area,where the directors set up,had AC and was OK.Several of the older guys were not feeling well,due to the heat and lack of air exchange.One went outside,where it was cooler,and threw up in the parking lot.
    Sunday,they had some exhaust fans up front and opened extra doors,so that helped.
    The buzz was that the woman who owned the hall said that her AC lease ran out in August and the company pulled the units. Somebody,supposedly,called the leasing company who reported that the lease expired on 9/30 but the owner called them and had the units pulled early so she wouldn't have to pay for the electricity costs.
    On Sunday,we took our own small fans and coolers of ice,so it wasn't quite as bad as Saturday.
    Sales were very low. It was a buyer's show IF you could stand the heat.
    The older I get,the better I used to be !!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Gun show turnout was low-hall was HOT !!!

No offense, your gun show may be different but for the most part gun shows have really tanked lately. You used to be able to go and find great deals on a lot of guns, especially C&R stuff but thats not really the case anymore.

With the increase in Gunbroker usage and the huge number of dealers that sell on there they know what they can get for the gun they are selling. if it doesn't sell locally they will just sell it online and get what they want for it.

I really don't see gun shows lasting much longer, maybe 3- 4 more years tops? The interest just isn't there for most people anymore.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lycoming County)

I've been to alot of the recent big guns show and the attendence is way down.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Allegheny County)

I've been disappointed at all the local guns shows since they stopped holding them at the Expomart (ahhh the glory years!).
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

I have been heading over to shows in Ohio and in central Pa. because the deals are so much better. I hit one about two years ago over by Altoona and must have spent close to $750 on stuff I never knew I needed.
    It wasn't even that big maybe 150 tables but what was there was worth looking at.

I don't think I have bought anything in the last five years at the Pittsburgh shows due to the prices. It is same people pushing the same over priced merchandise they were selling five years ago. There are almost no deals anymore at the Pittsburgh show.
    I have been hitting a show in Ohio south of Cleveland at least once a year.
    I have yet to not spend $250-$500 every time I go.

(Westmoreland County)

I agree, shows used to be an awesome place to find great deals...now your just lucky to not get ripped off! If you want shows to do better, find a way to encourage dealers to offer at least one incredible deal each to attract buyers. People love getting a deal...it's human nature!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by ALS View Post
    . . . I don't think I have bought anything in the last five years at the (PGCA) shows due to the prices. It is same people pushing the same over priced merchandise they were selling five years ago. There are almost no deals anymore at the (PGCA) show.

+1. Same Show, Different Date; rep points sent for calling a space a spade.

I went Saturday, only the second time for me in a year. I bought two PA60 ammo cans and 500 rds of Wolf 45 ACP ammo. Usually I drop between $400 and $1500 at a PGCA show. Not wasting my time in November.

Noah

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I've been disappointed at all the local guns shows since they stopped holding them at the Expomart (ahhh the glory years!).
    Expomart?
    That place sucked almost as bad as Bladerunners.

My idea of "glory years" was when it was held in the vacant JCPenny store in the Greengate Mall!
    Second floor, lingerie and... errr... I mean, holsters and more guns!

I still like to go to the shows, but I don't get excited about them like I used to. It's also better if you go into it knowing you will not likely find any deals.

It really sucks to hear about the unbearable conditions at the past show.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Expomart?
    That place sucked almost as bad as Bladerunners.

My idea of "glory years" was when it was held in the vacant JCPenny store in the Greengate Mall!

Then you must be a youngster, son!

I believe Hawk refers to the PRE-GREENGATE Expo-mart years, back in the 80s. BOTH SIDES of the Expo-mart were filled, as was the little connecting hall behind the concession area in the center. I mean FILLED, no wide aisles, jam-packed filled.

Those were truly the "glory years" of the PGCA.

Noah

(Westmoreland County)

Well,the january show at the same place was jammed on Saturday.You could hardly move in the aisles.
    Of course,Gasoline hadn't peaked in price.
    The older I get,the better I used to be !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast