Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Squirrels and Ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    I haven't hunted tree rats since the late 70's. However, when I did hunt them I would gut and skin immediately, then into a plastic bag went the meat. I just wonder if that "process" would not only prevent ticks from leaving the squirrels and on to you, but let you examine the meat right there.

Several years ago a guy shot a nice big rack buck in archery. Well, he took it around in his truck to "show" it to a bunch of friends. When he arrived back at the Club, (several hours later) I belonged to at the time, the deer had ticks crawling out....and then back into the hair as they were looking for "warm meat." I think, at least on big game, the ticks are just under the skin surface and when skinned, the ticks go with the hide.
    Skinned a buck head two years ago prior to boiling it. There were literally over a hundred ticks that were coming out of the ears while I skinned it. Meat was pretty darn good though.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Chester County)

So think we all agree. War on ticks. Is there a safe equivalent to ddt nowadays. I've been scared that I've had three deer ticks latched onto me and no shortage of deer and mild winters compond the problem. Do not want Lyme. Have a couple friends that went through hell from that.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    So think we all agree. War on ticks. Is there a safe equivalent to ddt nowadays. I've been scared that I've had three deer ticks latched onto me and no shortage of deer and mild winters compond the problem. Do not want Lyme. Have a couple friends that went through hell from that.
    I know Lyme disease can be bad. I have a friend who was diagnosed with it. He took some antibiotics and knocked it back. A year or so later I noticed his face drooping and told him to get checked for palsy, he did have it due to the Lyme. He took some other medicine and put it into remission. It has been about 5 years or so and no other problems. He does not feel he had a bad go of it considering he has heard some of the issues others have gone through.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Allegheny County)

Multiple people have mentioned, but permethrin works pretty well. You treat your clothing with it (do not apply it directly to yourself) and let it dry. It'll last several weeks through several wash cycles. I believe studies have shown it to be much more effective than DEET.

Supposedly, it dries odorless, but honestly, I wouldn't care much if it didn't. Greatly reducing the chance of getting ticks is worth it.

(Wayne County)

Yep, it's nasty stuff, same here I have a couple of friends and relatives that have been through hell with that shit. One relative never will recover and is on oxygen the rest of her life and never smoked a day of her life.

(Westmoreland County)

Here's the "stuff" I use. I cut it with water 20\1 ratio to get it down to the 1/2 of 1% I feel is safe. Keeps the ticks off me. Read all of the label warnings 'n such before you use the product.
    FWIW

19450-504.jpg

(Allegheny County)

My wife had the big red oblong mark thinking it was poison ivy.
    The minute I looked at it I knew it wasn't that.
    She was sick for a week even after medication and didn't feel good for a month.

We pull ticks off our outside cats every couple days.
    One cat needs held down to work on him. We got this off him 15 minutes ago.

Getting ready to attach to a 9mm Gold Dot which will become an accidental host.

2017-10-23_08-53-09 by poofy27, on Flickr

2017-10-23_08-53-31 by poofy27, on Flickr

We use a Tick Twister and it works like a charm almost always taking the head off with the rest of the tick.
    2017-10-23_09-02-30 by poofy27, on Flickr

I was at my buddies camp this spring and pulled 7 of those SOBs off me.
    2 were starting to embed.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Multiple people have mentioned, but permethrin works pretty well. You treat your clothing with it (do not apply it directly to yourself) and let it dry. It'll last several weeks through several wash cycles. I believe studies have shown it to be much more effective than DEET.

Supposedly, it dries odorless, but honestly, I wouldn't care much if it didn't. Greatly reducing the chance of getting ticks is worth it.
    People forget to treat their shoes and socks. Spray everything that you’re going to wear. I have clothes just for going out in the woods with, they never make it into the house until wash day.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    People forget to treat their shoes and socks. Spray everything that you’re going to wear. I have clothes just for going out in the woods with, they never make it into the house until wash day.
    Yep, shoes, socks, hats, I'll even do backpacks.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by the deer hunter View Post
    Ticks are pretty bad I used to be super vigilant about checking after every trip Into the Woods. Then I started using the spray for my clothes haven't had any problems since. One thing I wanted to pass along is something I noticed. When you come out of the woods and get in your car takes her getting off you and onto your upholstery. Then you go home check yourself real well shower and think you're good to go you get back in the car to go to work and next thing you know you've got ticks on you again. I have no clue how to combat this. The whole problem pretty much nullifies the checking and inspection after being in the woods. I would spray my seats but they are leather. I pretty much just decided not to worry about ticks anymore if that's how God wants to kill me so be it
    Treat your cars carpets and upholstery with Permethrin, just like you would your clothes, following the application instructions. Permethrin is supposed to kill the buggers on contact.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast