Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Squirrels and Ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I remember pulling five or six off me at a time when I was a kid.

Some years are definitely worse than others. It also seems like when it's bad, it's bad everywhere. I'm sure some areas are worse than others though.

This spring was about the worst I've ever seen it. I pulled at least 30 off of Puppymonster, and at probably 15 or so off of me. I found a few just crawling around in the house. I hate those fucking things.

I'm either really good at locating prime breeding ground, or I smell really good to a tick.

I wouldn't even know where to start with guessing how many I've had on me over the years.

See, now I find this odd as I never once saw a tick as a kid growing up in western PA in the 70s. I actually never had a tick on me until some time around 1989-90 when I was a junior or senior in college here in NEPA. We played in the woods all of the time as kids, too. Mosquitoes and deer flies, yes. But ticks, never.

Personally, I'm thinking that the rise in ticks in the 80s could possibly be tied to the ban on DDT in 1972. That would give 10 -15 years for the population of ticks to rebound after having been knocked back. 15 years is plenty of time for the population to rebound, especially in conjunction with the expansion of suburban sprawl during the same time period, which is suitable habitat for both white footed mice and white tail deer, both reservoir hosts to Lyme disease.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

The rise in ticks and mosquitoes is definitely due to ban on DDT. I spent my childhood in the woods. I would always find one or two dog ticks, but never deer ticks. Only worry was them getting too big or laying eggs. There was the off chance of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever but I never heard of a case in the Northeast. Now most of the damn ticks sound like deer ticks. I don't spend nearly as much time in the woods as I did as a child, but when I do find a tick I would say half are deer ticks and the other half are dog ticks.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Not sure what you are saying here. Is it that ticks did not exist years ago or people just did not worry about them back then?
    (What this says but I was in eastern PA.) See, now I find this odd as I never once saw a tick as a kid growing up in western PA in the 70s. I actually never had a tick on me until some time around 1989-90 when I was a junior or senior in college here in NEPA. We played in the woods all of the time as kids, too. Mosquitoes and deer flies, yes. But ticks, never.

Personally, I'm thinking that the rise in ticks in the 80s could possibly be tied to the ban on DDT in 1972. That would give 10 -15 years for the population of ticks to rebound after having been knocked back. 15 years is plenty of time for the population to rebound, especially in conjunction with the expansion of suburban sprawl during the same time period, which is suitable habitat for both white footed mice and white tail deer, both reservoir hosts to Lyme disease.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Tuff View Post
    (What this says but I was in eastern PA.) See, now I find this odd as I never once saw a tick as a kid growing up in western PA in the 70s. I actually never had a tick on me until some time around 1989-90 when I was a junior or senior in college here in NEPA. We played in the woods all of the time as kids, too. Mosquitoes and deer flies, yes. But ticks, never.

I lived in NYC so no problem with the nasty bastards. Moved to NJ and that’s when they started showing up. I did a bear hunt in Montana about 30 years ago and found a dog tick on me out there. Now this year started off bad but I seems to have died down. One other observation, anyone notice the absence of birds? I filled my feeder around the 27th of Sept. and they’re still full.
    Last edited by Qtrborecrazy; October 17th, 2017 at 07:59 AM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    I lived in NYC so no problem with the nasty bastards. Moved to NJ and that’s when they started showing up. I did a bear hunt in Montana about 30 years ago and found a dog tick on me out there. Now this year started off bad but I seems to have died down. One other observation, anyone notice the absence of birds? I filled my feeder around the 27th of Sept. and they’re still full.

Yeah, this May/June started off with more ticks than I've seen in some time, but it fell off pretty precipitously and I haven't picked up a tick since June, despite having spent a lot of time in the field for work and play.

Our bird populations appear to be normal, but I haven't put the feeders up yet until it cools down and the besrs get ready to hibernate. No sense tempting fate.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Pine Barrens are loaded with Ticks on Long Island,One year long ago I harvested a 10 point buck,seemed all his fur was moving could not count the amount of ticks !

(Wayne County)

Well, the only solution I know beside spraying your clothes and exposed skin with repellant is to try and get the PGC and state environment agencies of PA. and surrounding states involved in some type of aerial spraying to kill off these damn ticks. At some point the PGC and other Gov. agencies are going to have to man up to doing something because the way I see it, it's not going away and it's getting worst every year.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    About the birds. I feed them year round and always had lots of cardinals, finches, blue jays, and many many doves. The gold finches were constantly on the thistle feeder but in the last month or so only doves. WTF? Maybe it's just a great year for wild seeds or something.

(Westmoreland County)

I spray all of my hunting clothing prior to the season with Permithin (sp) and it's diluted to .5%. In the last ten years I have not had one tick on me. Don't spray this on your skin, just your clothing. Then let it dry. They say the effects will last thru 6 washings. I dunno about that 'cause I never wash my hunting clothes until March of next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    I spray all of my hunting clothing prior to the season with Permithin (sp) and it's diluted to .5%. In the last ten years I have not had one tick on me. Don't spray this on your skin, just your clothing. Then let it dry. They say the effects will last thru 6 washings. I dunno about that 'cause I never wash my hunting clothes until March of next year.
    Never washed my hunting clothes.When putting them away for season I through in leaves from the trees that have fallen,best cover scent money can buy,beats getting humped by a buck when sprayed with doe estrus scent !

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast