Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Squirrels and Ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Tuff View Post
    Ha, just a little ticked off. What ticks me off more is the fact that suppose this was some father with his son or daughter first time hunting. How do you tell your children ok you shot two squirrels now we have to bury them. What the hell does that teach your children, other than that's the way to get rid of infested game.
    I think the best way is to explain to the kids that it's just nature. Ticks are everywhere, and sometimes they spoil things. That's just part of life. Kinds learning to hunt should be taught that.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Centre County)

Massive infestations of ticks and fleas are why I abandoned squirrel and rabbit hunting way back in the late 90s. Now that my free time has increased substantially and I've generally streamlined my life I am getting back into the hunting side of the shooting sports so it looks like heightened vigilance is still required as I plan on bagging at least some rabbits for the skillet!

(Westmoreland County)

I haven't hunted tree rats since the late 70's. However, when I did hunt them I would gut and skin immediately, then into a plastic bag went the meat. I just wonder if that "process" would not only prevent ticks from leaving the squirrels and on to you, but let you examine the meat right there.

Several years ago a guy shot a nice big rack buck in archery. Well, he took it around in his truck to "show" it to a bunch of friends. When he arrived back at the Club, (several hours later) I belonged to at the time, the deer had ticks crawling out....and then back into the hair as they were looking for "warm meat." I think, at least on big game, the ticks are just under the skin surface and when skinned, the ticks go with the hide.

(Carbon County)

I've been lucky this year and have not found any ticks burrowed in me this year although back in August when scouting in high grass I was picking a dozen off of me every 100 yards. In the last 6 years I've had 2 that had to be cut out of me. They did not test the ticks, they just assumed the worst and put me on 3 weeks of antibiotics each time. Anyway when I was picking the ticks off of me in August I was not paying attention to anything else. I was perhaps a mile from my vehicle when I looked up and 50 feet from me was a 300 lb Black Bear. The ticks suddenly were not so important. I showed him who was king of the forest. I had nothing on me at all and I saw him before he saw me. I screamed and fortunately for me he ran away much faster than I could have. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

(Wayne County)

Thanks guys for the replies a lot of good savvy here. I don't know how old some of you guys are but I can remember a time when you'd shoot a squirrel or rabbit or any game animal walking through the woods and ya didn't have a worry in the world about being bitten by something so small and so life threatening. If bitten by a rattlesnake or a copperhead you know it but these damn ticks, half the time you don't even know they are on ya.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wamba View Post
    I had nothing on me at all and I saw him before he saw me. I screamed and fortunately for me he ran away much faster than I could have. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
    You have failed to mention the color of your undergarment after this encounter. Omission of small details can alter a story.....or "What can brown do for you?"

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Tuff View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies a lot of good savvy here. I don't know how old some of you guys are but I can remember a time when you'd shoot a squirrel or rabbit or any game animal walking through the woods and ya didn't have a worry in the world about being bitten by something so small and so life threatening. If bitten by a rattlesnake or a copperhead you know it but these damn ticks, half the time you don't even know they are on ya.
    Not sure what you are saying here. Is it that ticks did not exist years ago or people just did not worry about them back then?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

I remember pulling five or six off me at a time when I was a kid.

Some years are definitely worse than others. It also seems like when it's bad, it's bad everywhere. I'm sure some areas are worse than others though.

This spring was about the worst I've ever seen it. I pulled at least 30 off of Puppymonster, and at probably 15 or so off of me. I found a few just crawling around in the house. I hate those fucking things.

I'm either really good at locating prime breeding ground, or I smell really good to a tick.

I wouldn't even know where to start with guessing how many I've had on me over the years.

(Chester County)

Found 3 deer ticks on me last summer within a two month period. Deer regularly walk through the yard to get to the woods behind me and guess the weeds behind the house are full of those fuckers. Anyway after my three walks out back noticed the ticks on me the next day and they all had imbedded themselves and only found them because they caused an itch and with further inspection tweezered them off and no lyme for me becuse I found them early (i.e. within 48 hours). BTW the deer often look into my bedroom window and stare at the tv they can see which is pretty funny. So always check yourselves after being in the woods but you all know that right?

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    You have failed to mention the color of your undergarment after this encounter. Omission of small details can alter a story.....or "What can brown do for you?"
    My incontinence is my business. I don't need a bear for that, just eggs, home fries, and coffee. I generally have at least a machete or a hatchet, but not this time. I was totally unprepared because I've never seen bear at this location before. The most dangerous critter I previously encountered there was a baby Porcupine. Well then there was that skunk, but that was another adventure. To get back to ticks, I don't remember them becoming a major issue until the 1980s. I have run into so many in places where the deer population is low, I can only guess that rodents are the source, but I have no idea. I only know that if you think you are bitten, get on the antibiotics. A friend of mine did not finish his full routine of antibiotics after a tick bite and ended up in the hospital.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast