Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Close friend or friends ?

For us that have been lucky enough to be around for 50 yrs. or longer, who has what they believe to be close friend, friends? Someone you've known for long time, 10,20,30 years or longer. You trust completely, know their secrets, they know yours. You can depend on them, loyal to a fault, you can tell them what they need to hear and not what they want to hear and not be angry and vice versa. You've heard the expression, they're more like brothers or like sisters than friends. My wife has 3, different" levels" of best friends. The mother of one of them died yesterday, hospice was involved and she died at home, she lived with her daughter, my wifes friend. My wife and this friend been friends since they were 6-7 yrs old now both 62. They live couple hundred feet from us, so my wife has been walking there for weeks, on a daily basis. This friend is one of those close, best friends of the 3 for sure. Anyone have one of these friends, i had one he died few years back. However don't think as close of friends as my wifes friendship. Maybe male and female friendships just different. Sorry for droning on and on, just curious.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Close friend or friends ?

Unfortunately, only have one true friend like you describe.
    We grew up in a horrible neighborhood in Baltimore together and went through a lot of shit together.
    Just seems like people dont want to socialize with each other nowadays.
    People have trust issues it seems or they are very selfish.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Chester County)

I am blessed to have 2 such long term friends, whom I consider brothers from other mothers. I met Dale and Kevin on the 1st day we moved to a new neighborhood when I was 10 years old. Me and my two real brothers instantly fell in with a group of about 10 kids playing in the next door neighbor's back yard. It's been a brotherhood of sorts with many of those guys ever since, even some that have moved away.

The two that I mentioned by name have stayed more or less local and although we don't see each other on a weekly or monthly basis, my two biological brothers and Kevin and Dale always call each other "brother" when we get together. It is a rare and special thing in this day and age, and I do not take them for granted. What a blessing!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Just seems like people dont want to socialize with each other nowadays.
    People have trust issues it seems or they are very selfish.
    Agree. Having good friends requires effort and many aren't willing to devote the time commitment. I think many people today devote their quality time to family and most everyone else is a 'friendly acquaintance' who you see at a neighborhood BBQ, or play golf with every so often.

I hung out with an older crowd, so almost all of them have passed on. My youngerr brother is my closest friend

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Agree. Having good friends requires effort and many aren't willing to devote the time commitment. I think many people today devote their quality time to family and most everyone else is a 'friendly acquaintance' who you see at a neighborhood BBQ, or play golf with every so often.
    Exactly....to have a friend you have to be a friend
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

I have "acquaintances" my only close friend for years passed suddenly a couple of years ago.

I stay in touch by internet and occasional meetups with kid I hung out with in my early years, but basically I am a loner.

Maybe my "Faceblindness" has something to do with that......
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Bucks County)

Yeah, I have two. One, I went to High School with. I was with him when he walked downstairs into his basement and found his older brother had hanged himself. 25 years later, his mom did it in the same place. He is the only person who I ever told about a problem I had with a certain 'authority figure' for a few years. Several times i had to talk him out of killing thst person.
    The second is a guy I went through Basic with, Tech Schools, a couple of firefights, and some very good times.
    I do not refer to many people as brother, but these two EARNED the title.
    I will miss them when they are gone. In fact, I hope I go first so I don't have to go through losing them.

(Dauphin County)

I have one, met him when were about 5. We lived only a block away from each other and we were in nearly all the same classes until middle school. In high school we were locker partners. The week my dad passed in 2006 he moved into my house and we became roommates. In 2007 we both moved away from Michigan, he went to Las Vegas and I went to Colorado. We may not talk too much anymore but he is the only person I can call my brother. I haven't seen him since we both left MI but I talk to him at least once a year and we always pick up where we left off. I'll be 33 this year so we've known each other for 28 years.

(Delaware County)

Close friends I grew up with are now acquaintances. Neighbors, community members and co-workers with whom I socialize occasionally at present are also effectively acquaintances. I have three very close (would my help me move a body close ) friends from my days in the military, one, in particular, whom—though we regularly communicate, I have not lived in the same place at the same time with in the last 30 years and see each other only occasionally, remain thick as thieves always picking up where we left off when we meet.
    Last edited by Gman106; October 14th, 2017 at 11:11 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast