Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Sub 2000 hits way left.......

I just picked up a Sub2K set up for Beretta 92 mags. I am hitting targets about six inches left at 50 yards. The picture below shows that my front site post is as far left as possible and the rear is not adjustable. The picture of the target obviously shows the impacts but the X is where I was aiming to land them where they were. My hand is there for a size reference although it also illustrates what happens when you're not used to a charging knob near the stock. I was shooting off sandbags and typically keep my left hand tucked under my right arm and I got caught.

I'm hoping someone has some suggestions how to get this rifle sighted in. My front site post does not appear canted and I shoot my ARs with iron sites so I'm no stranger to the sight picture. Needless to say I'm a little bummed out after my first range trip. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Brian

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Default Re: Sub 2000 hits way left.......

This is a common issue with Sub2Ks, including the one I owned a few years back. Although it may not look like it, I bet it is canted or out of whack somehow. I found 2 options when trying to solve my problem;

1) Sent it back to Kel Tec.
    2) Replace the front site with something better.

I went with number 2. It was dead on nuts accurate after that.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

My wife's Sub2k shoots true out of the box. I was worried because her front sight post is also very slightly canted. Not enough to warrant sending it back to Kel Tec or taking it apart myself. But eventually, I'm going to replace the front sight post with a folding one from Red Lion Precision. She's running a red dot, and can just see the ears of the front sight post. It doesn't both her now, but I know her...it will soon enough.

Bripro - Kel Tec will fix up your hurt fairly quick. Sucks you have to do that with a new gun, though.

Btw, there's a lot of good Sub2k info at TheKTOG.org.

(Lancaster County)

^^ thank you very much. Getting a hell of a cheek slap pressing up against that bare tube so the thought of a quick detach red dot with a riser is sounding pretty possible
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Monroe County)

If it’s a gen 2 Midwest Industries makes a nice red dot mount that still allows the firearm to fold.

(Lancaster County)

^^ thank you, saw it. It's pretty neat but the intention of this rifle was a cheap plinker so I got some thinking to do
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Quote Originally Posted by poconopashooter View Post
    If it’s a gen 2 Midwest Industries makes a nice red dot mount that still allows the firearm to fold.
    Looked at that and decided to skip it. Lots of folks complaining that it does not hold zero and tends to come loose even with blue locktite. For my wife's Sub2k I added a UTG 1" riser and she wanted a Holosun ACSS reticle red sight. It's a great sight if you have perfect eyesight and can make out the chevron and three hold over dots. With astigmatisms in both eyes, all I see is a big red blur. Some folks scoff at UTG products, but it seems to hold tight on the rail and hold zero after removing it and putting it back on several times. The Holosun was pricey, but happy wife, happy life. A Bushnell TRS-25 is less than $60 on amazon and would work just as well.
    Last edited by Ronin; October 14th, 2017 at 09:52 PM.

cheapest solution would be to cant the front sight to the left allowing you more adjustment of the sight. its common to do this on ak type rifles

(Lancaster County)

^^^Roger that. I've been thinking about doing just that. It's threaded on and secured with red Loctite and a lock nut. Does anyone know if the original Locktite will re-set after I heat it up in order to move the sight post?? My guess is that if I contact the manufacture and send it in this is all they're going to do anyway.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Bucks County)

Beretta 92 mags suggests this is a 9mm. Ever have to try different ammo brands/grains/types of projectile in an effort to find what a rifle "likes"? I would think the same might apply to this rifle. It could be the rifle doesn't like whatever you were shooting and a change in ammo may tighten it up. KTOG would be the place to learn what others have found out, saving a lot of money and time resolving it.

Rear sight way over while looking like shit and worrisome, is in range...otherwise they would not have made the sight to be able to go over that far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast