Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detonics

(Cumberland County)

Default Detonics

Dang gunshop, keeps texting me pics to tease me Anyone have a Detonics pistol ? Have always considered one. Nice condition with 2 mags..

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Detonics

Kind of funky looking but I like it. Looks like a cross between a Makarov and a CZ-52.

(Cumberland County)

Not made any more. Somewhat crude looking like you mentioned, but have heard good things and they seem to have held their value.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Kind of funky looking but I like it. Looks like a cross between a Makarov and a CZ-52.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Allegheny County)

I have a Combat Master in .45ACP. Just had it to the range today as a matter of fact. Like a lot of little 1911s, mine took a bit of tweaking to get it running right and it doesn't tolerate limp wristing, but if I do my part now it's reliable and accurate. Fit and finish is excellent and it's a really well made gun.

As for the Pocket 9 I have no direct experience but apparently while they are also very well made, they kick pretty hard, have a heavy trigger, and disassembly is odd. Still I think it would be right at home in your eclectic collection.

(Washington County)

It looks like walther ppk/s retarded cousin.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    I have a Combat Master in .45ACP. Just had it to the range today as a matter of fact. Like a lot of little 1911s, mine took a bit of tweaking to get it running right and it doesn't tolerate limp wristing, but if I do my part now it's reliable and accurate. Fit and finish is excellent and it's a really well made gun.

As for the Pocket 9 I have no direct experience but apparently while they are also very well made, they kick pretty hard, have a heavy trigger, and disassembly is odd. Still I think it would be right at home in your eclectic collection.
    IIRC the 9 is a straight blow back pistol, thus the extra heavy slide etc. Detonics 45s are very desirable, the 9s not so much, but they do fill the oddball niche. If the price is low enough (i.e. CHEAP) would be my deciding factor.
    Last edited by gghbi; October 13th, 2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: clarification
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

A blowback 45? Make sure you can pull back the slide before you buy it. It must have a 50 pound spring.

(Elk County)

The Pocket 9 did not have the best of reputations when introduced. Expect issues with reliability and accuracy. Parts are unobtaniun.

I see the word "Detonics" and I'm reminded of the late Jerry Ahearn, second-rate gun writer, and third-rate novelist of the "Survivalist" post-Aramgeddon book series. Ahearn loved Detonics Combat Master and Score Master .45s, and the protagonists in his books carried them. The writing was like a train wreck; so awful and campy but you couldn't tear your eyes away, and it would have you screaming out loud at the "deux et machina" plot devices. For example: In one of the Survivalist books, the protagonist just happens to find two boxes of the EXACT ammunition he uses in an old, abandoned truck. Not just 45 hardball, but the EXACT manufacturer, bullet style, bullet weight, etc.

Ahearn loved Detonics so much that when the company was resurrected, he became president. Neither he nor the company lasted long.

The Combat Master pistols were ground-breaking; see the following blurb:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...etonics-story/

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    A blowback 45? Make sure you can pull back the slide before you buy it. It must have a 50 pound spring.
    Doesn't need a heavy spring if there is enough mass in the slide. The mass of the slide is the majority of the blowback delay.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Clearfield County)

You guys are funny, acting like there is a snowball's chance in hell he isn't going to buy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast