Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Off-Duty Septa Officer

"Off-Duty SEPTA Officer Involved In Deadly Shooting
    SCHWENKSVILLE, Pa (CBS 3) ― An off-duty SEPTA police officer is being questioned after a deadly shooting in Montgomery County.

Skippack State Police were called to the corner of Miller and Myers Roads in Schwenksville following numerous reports of gunfire just before 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Sources said 48-year-old off-duty SEPTA police officer Darryl Simmons apparently fired several shots at a 36-year-old man during a confrontation.

The victim was rushed to Pottstown Memorial Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

Sources said the two men were neighbors.

Simmons was taken in for questioning, but he has not yet been charged.

The Montgomery County District Attorney's office has joined the investigation."

(Berks County)

Default Re: Off-Duty Septa Officer

Mike,

In the future, please provide a link to the article you cite when posting to the news forum, so we can verify the story. I couldn't find the article you mentioned, but I was able to find this one:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=6398407

By Jessica Borg

PERKIOMEN TWP., Pa. - September 17, 2008 (WPVI) -- A deadly shooting in Montgomery County and the alleged gunman is a SEPTA police officer.

On Wednesday night, the two cars involved in the shooting are still sitting in the intersection of Miller and Meyers Roads in Perkiomen Township.

Police say an off-duty SEPTA police officer in a BMW fired multiple shots into the Pontiac Vibe that sits right next to it.

The two men, neighbors in the community, had been arguing for about 15 minutes, though, it is unclear what that argument was about.

Then, at about 7:30 p.m., several shots were fired.

Jim Cooney, like many others in this normally quiet neighborhood, ran outside to see what happened.

"It was pretty frightening. I just came over to see what was going on and, unfortunately, that happened," Cooney said.

"Anything can happen in any neighborhood, you obviously wouldn't expect it in a neighborhood like this, but it can happen," Captain David Young of the Pennsylvania State Police said.

The off-duty SEPTA police officer who fired the shots stayed on the scene and is now being questioned by investigators. The victim was pronounced dead at Pottstown Hospital.

At this point, police are not saying whether anyone else was in either car at the time of the shooting.

Apparently, a gun has been recovered at the scene.

At this point, no charges have been filed.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Sorry about that, will do from now on

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelchica View Post
    Sorry about that, will do from now on
    No need to apologize, just a friendly tip.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Pike County)

I am really following this story closely. Apparently the victim, Mcnair, got into an argument with another neighbor right before getting shot. It was over leashing a dog, Mcnair speeds off and nearly hits the SEPTA officer and they start arguing. The officer thinks that Mcnair reached for a weapon and felt threatened so he drew his gun and shot him. Thats what I got from the video I watched here: http://www.nbc10.com/news/17502662/d...l?dl=mainclick

I beleive I saw on the news tonight that no charges are going to be filed against the SEPTA Officer. I saw the dispatch for that one, it sounded like he ran to his house and told his wife to call 911 after the shooting. Other people called after that.

(Northampton County)

Does anyone know if the SEPTA guy was armed while on duty?
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Berks County)

why do I get the feeling that if this was one of us non LEOs we would be sitting in a jail cell enjoying a egg sandwich and waiting for a heraring???

wonder what the real story is here..............
    gotta love her ;)

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    why do I get the feeling that if this was one of us non LEOs we would be sitting in a jail cell enjoying a egg sandwich and waiting for a heraring???

Do you know about the egg sandwich from first hand experience

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post

In Montgomery County, not necessarily. Much less tolerance for scuzzball drug dealers there.

In Philadelphia County, you would be in a cell. The mayor, police commish, DA and most of the people here would rather see you on a slab than defending yourself without gov't involvement (despite the commish's most recent flip-flop related to the recent hammer attack on a subway train).

No charges were filed against the SEPTA cop. I'm still curious as to whether and when the "victim's" family will sue and what comes of that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast