Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Galco shoulder holster for a Beretta 92fs?

I was looking at galco's shoulder holsters.

Has anybody used one with a full size pistol?

I'm not a big guy so I was thinking maybe the jackass rig would conceal better? The classic light looks nice at that price point as well. Any disadvantage to the jackass that should steer me toward the slightly pricier Miami?

How does the leather hold up on skin or would at shirt always be suggested underneath?

I'm clearly a newbie with shoulder holsters. Until now I've carried iwb with a cheap uncle Mike's holster.

I'm pretty set on carrying the Beretta 92fs. I shoot it well and it is reliable.

Thanks!

-Zach

(Berks County)

Default Re: Galco shoulder holster for a Beretta 92fs?

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I was looking at galco's shoulder holsters.

Has anybody used one with a full size pistol?

I'm not a big guy so I was thinking maybe the jackass rig would conceal better? The classic light looks nice at that price point as well. Any disadvantage to the jackass that should steer me toward the slightly pricier Miami?

How does the leather hold up on skin or would at shirt always be suggested underneath?

I'm clearly a newbie with shoulder holsters. Until now I've carried iwb with a cheap uncle Mike's holster.

I'm pretty set on carrying the Beretta 92fs. I shoot it well and it is reliable.

Thanks!

-Zach
    I use a Miami Classic for concealing my Government-pattern 1911 (5" barrel), canted horizontally. About the only time it sticks out in the back is when I'm wearing a suit jacket tailored to my body. When I'm wearing my leather jacket, it disappears completely. Very comfortable to carry that way, especially in a vehicle. I don't usually wear it during the summertime, though, as I mostly don't wear suits or jackets in warmer weather.

The plan is to get another one for my 4" 686, but that one I think I'll have canted vertically just for the sake of deeper concealment when I'm wearing a tailored suit.

(Berks County)

I have both a jackass rig and several miami classic rigs along w others. My main carry is an Sig p226 (4.5" barrel). The jackass setup is great w 2 exceptions. The 1st is something that may not bother others but I dislike the open mouth holster and my barrel being exposed about 2 inches out of it (which I will explain a little more in a second). The 2nd is the 45 degree angle - this is both good and bad in that the angle makes it easy to conceal large sized guns. You want though to adjust it as high as possible so the butt of the gun isnt too low. The one problem I was having is that the damn exposed sight post was constantly scratching the back of my shoulder. The second is the draw is a little slow. Not as bad as a vertical holster but not as good as a horizontal one. I see many say they like wider shoulder straps but I thought the thin suede straps on the jackass rig are super comfortable. In fact I replace most of my setups (galco or otherwise) w the jackass suede straps

Ok w the Miami Classic, again galco the holster component (at least for the Sig p226) doesnt cover the entire barrel and is exposed about an inch (although not being scratched in the current position). As far as the horizontal position and the Sig p226 size, it prints if im wearing a button down type shirt thats buttoned up, although others seem oblivious to it. Leaving the shirt open seems to cover it fine. A light jacket such as a jean jacket definitely conceals it fine. Draw times w it are great once you get practiced and no where near as bad as ive heard people point out. Without a covering shirt, SH cross draw and thumb retention strap I can draw and shoot 1st shot at 0.9. working on 0.8 now but still inconsistent. W coverings add 0.3 to the time. And as said above you can adjust cants on it if you want.

My current setup for my P226 is a Vega Holster, model OK1. What I like about it is the holster component covers the entire barrel, the mag pouches cover more mag area then the jackass and there are two snaps on it so theres a little room for different size mags. With this though, I still replaced the straps and put the jackass suede straps on it. I use my P226 miami classic for my P224 which is an inch shorter so it covers the entire barrel.
    Last edited by PhillySoldier; October 13th, 2017 at 01:26 PM.

(Berks County)

And yes you would want to wear an undershirt. Without it the rubbing may bother you and it will get yuckey from being sweated on constantly. I wouldnt do the classic light just cause I dont think the suede holster will hold up as well as the leather over time.

Something Ive adjusted to since wearing shoulder holsters is now I have a closet full of button down type shirts. Buy them a size larger than I normally wear and w snaps instead of buttons. Everything from dress shirts to flannels, denims, Hawaiian type shirts etc. Concealing w a jacket is definitely easier but I get away w just the over shirts and wearing year round and no one has ever noticed.

(Bucks County)

Well that presents some issues for me.

1. I don't want an exposed barrel.
    2. This is more for summer carry as I have a sig jacket that has a holster built in. Also has the ability to bring ALL of the candy into the movies. That said, I want something that is durable, comfortable, and doesn't have me wearing 2 shirts.

Back to the drawing board.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Skip the jackass then. Check around and see if you can find a pic of your gun in the miami classic to see if it fully covers it or not. Also check vega holsters. This resolved the issue for me and the sig. I got it shipped from italy in 4 days for $130 total.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll search around.

-Zach

(Delaware County)

I really like the Miami. It’s well made, conceals a full size pistol well, classy and most of all, comfortable. When it’s adjusted properly everything stays in place the way it should. Plus it houses two extra mags. I usually wear it during the fall and winter months normally with a Glock 22 or 17. I also have a second one setup for a 5’ 1911. I wear a thin tee-shirt under it. I’ve tried other cheaper shoulder holsters in the past and was disappointed with them. The Miami is top notch and so is the leather. They are a bit pricy but you get what you pay for.