Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Mike Keyes, my friend and former State Trooper beat his 302 prohibition.

http://m.thelegalintelligencer.com/?....google.com%2F

In the wake of the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history and in the midst of a fierce national debate over gun control, a Pennsylvania federal judge has ruled that a former state trooper, who over a decade ago was involuntarily committed to a hospital for attempting suicide, can own firearms.

U.S. District Judge John E. Jones of the Middle District of Pennsylvania granted judgment in favor of Michael Keyes, a former U.S. Air Force veteran and retired master trooper with the Pennsylvania State Police who sued the federal government after the state courts rejected his bid to expunge his mental health record. Keyes argued that he was unable to own guns under federal law with the committal on his record, even though he was entrusted with a service pistol while on duty as a state trooper.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Berks County)

Default Re: Mike Keyes, my friend and former State Trooper beat his 302 prohibition.

I will raise a glass in his honor tonight. Give him my congratulations on beating this and hopefully making things easier for those who follow. Thanks for sharing.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Mike Keyes, my friend and former State Trooper beat his 302 prohibition.

I'm not much of a drinker but will knock one back for him. Congrats to your friend.

Holy cow, there just might be justice after all.

Congrats to your friend!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    I will raise a glass in his honor tonight. Give him my congratulations on beating this and hopefully making things easier for those who follow. Thanks for sharing.
    He really just made it easier for cops. Same way they are exempted in some states from laws preventing domestic abusers from owning firearms.

(Wayne County)

I don’t care if he was a trooper or not, it’s a win for us. I’d like to thank his legal team.

(Centre County)

I am happy to hear his right was restored but I'm gonna wait til someone with no ties to LE also is treated in a similar manner before I get giddy.... but it is encouraging.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

(Delaware County)

What did it cost him in stress, time and money to get justice?"
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Perry County)

His initial win was an LE win because he was granted the ability to carry a firearm on duty.

This is a win for everyone because he's now retired. There is no "need" for him to be armed. His first win paved the way for this win because he was allowed to be armed which (pun intended) shoots holes in the idea that someone that has a 302 can't have a gun. Now, there is case law that a ten year span from being 302ed with no further signs of mental problems means the lifetime prohibition is not one.

As for stress, I'm not sure what he went through. I know he wasn't confident he'd win so he has to be ecstatic with the ruling.
    Last edited by unclejumbo; October 13th, 2017 at 07:46 PM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lancaster County)

Giood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast