Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Rocky's Vs. Irish Setter

I've always worn rocky's, and they have been great boots...but i was looking into a new pair this year, and on just about every pair of rocky reviews, the feedback has been that they are going downhill, problems with leaking and soles wearing off is the most common gripe...has anyone had this problem lately? So i went with irish setters ive not heard any bad things about them, plus red wing makes them, does anyone have any irish setters? if so what do you think of them...feedback on both boots would be appreciated....thx
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Rocky's Vs. Irish Setter

I have a pair of Irish setters, 2 years old...so far great...light and warm, waterproof and comfortable. 800 grams of Thinsulate so I rarely wear when bowhunting, but I have and don't recall any issues.

(Monroe County)

DO NOT BUY ROCKY BOOTS!!!! Take that as a warning.

If you buy Rocky you are throwing your money away, Rocky used to be outstanding 5+ years ago, their buts wore like Iron and they were well worth the money, this isn't the case anymore. They shipped all manufacturing overseas and the quality is crap now.

The soles on them are complete garbage and they WILL far apart in no time.

I've witnessed it first hand, My dad had a pair of rocky's that he bought 15+ years ago, they wore great until they finally just died when my brother started using them for construction

So he bought a second pair, general usage, ie: out in the snow, walking a bit, hunting. nothing severe and the soles are already falling apart, large pieces are coming off including the tread

My brother bought a pair of rockys about 6 years ago and they work great.

I've even asked the shoe guy at Cabelas about rocky's when I was looking last year he got this deer in the headlights look and then quietly said "Sir don't buy those, they will not last, we get almost every pair we sell returned in under a year". I've found numerous other people saying the same thing online.

ROCKY = GARBAGE

I would not hesitate to buy Irish Setters, my dad just purchased another pair of them this year, he wore a pair last year up in Maine and they were great, my buddy has had a pair of Irish Setter's for 2+ seasons now and they are working great.

Buy Irish Setter over Rocky any day!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

I bought a pair of Irish Setters (insulated) about 6 years ago and I've pounded them pretty good over the years. I love them, and the gore-tex still holds out the water.

(York County)

hey thx for the feedback...that was the vibe i was getting from the reviews on cabelas that rocky's are goning downhill, just wanted to make sure i made the right decision on the irish setters...thx again

Hey everyone I'm new to the site, so first I would just like to say hello to eveyone and maybe give my 2 cents on this topic. I"ve been wearing rockys for about 20 years now I wear them to hunt, work, casual and play. I love the way Rocky fits, and I've had no problems with the way they wear for me I work in a factory where I'm on my feet for 10 hours a day and I've been wearing the same pair of rockys for 2 years the treads starting to be a little thin but I've wore them to years. The boots I wear just for casual wear are the rocky rangers I've been wearing them for the past 3 years with no problems, I wear a pair at the fire dept with duty uniform no problems and I have 4 different pair for hunting. I just purchased the bearclaw for this season. I would reccommend the rocky boot becaus I know hard I am on boots and if they hold up for me they should hold up for anyone. My younger brother switched from Irish Setters to Rocky a few years ago due to 3 different pair leaking. This is just my 2 cents but I wouldn't wear anything else specially not in the woods.

Stay SAFE

Newton18

(Monroe County)

Newton make sure you take a few extra pairs with you. Sounds like you may have gotten lucky, maybe got some of the old ones but the failure rate on the new one is supposed to be massive. Buying rocky is the equivalent of throwing your money away on a gamble.

Buy a sure thing, just about every other boot out there is better then Rocky
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

yea hey thx for the info newton, but it does sound like your one of the last few rocky lovers( i was one of them) but i personally havent had a problem with them, but you cant read any reviews lately about rockys without people being disappointed with them, my pops only wears rockys and so far he hasnt had a problem with them, but all these people cant be wrong (maybe they can, but i've asked the audience and im going with their answer ill find out this fall...thx

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    yea hey thx for the info newton, but it does sound like your one of the last few rocky lovers( i was one of them) but i personally havent had a problem with them, but you cant read any reviews lately about rockys without people being disappointed with them, my pops only wears rockys and so far he hasnt had a problem with them, but all these people cant be wrong (maybe they can, but i've asked the audience and im going with their answer ill find out this fall...thx
    I they were made in the USA before their manufacturing went overseas they are still a great boot. I think it went to China? anyway if they say Made in the USA then you'll be fine, if they don't then you are screwed

I understand what your saying but everyone that hunts with me all wear Rocky and haven't had any problems. I'm not saying people haven't any problems but with anything I think you can get a bad batch in whatever you buy. I just bought the rocky bearclaw for this year so I'll let you know how they hold up. Good luck with what ever boot you choose, but just remember just because someone else had a problem with a boot doesn't mean your going to have the same problem or a problem at all. Hope everyone has a great season and make sure you keep your feet warm and dry.

Stay SAFE

Newton18