Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: ZENITH FIREARMS ?

Its a 1911 I have built several custom 1911 from these already just using them for a base frame and slide. If these were striker fired Girsan pistols and I needed a part I would worried .
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    Its a 1911 I have built several custom 1911 from these already just using them for a base frame and slide. If these were striker fired Girsan pistols and I needed a part I would worried .
    I read someplace that the Zenith 1911 frames were a tad thicker/wider than a normal 1911. Have you noticed that? Maybe what I read was referencing early imports?

(Northampton County)

Never tried swapping slides to their frames, as far as the parts go pretty much they can swapped. The Zenith frames and slides are down right heavy thought these are not light guns.

Want the ruger 1911 Commander,But leaning towards an ATI !

(Northampton County)

Are you talking about the new polymer framed Hybrid one or a stelel one . I have been thinking about the poly version because the slide is set up for glock sights.

1911 steel,I do prefer Glock white outline sights !

(Northampton County)

I ordered one of the Zenith black commander models today, to many good Zenith 1911 reviews out there for me not to take the chance. So far I have purchased a few "Turk made: pistols this year, all have been very well made and if you just consider the quality, not the logo on the slide, they are way under priced.

We have two Springfield Armory 1911's, both claimed to be US made, but the frames are from Brazil... go figure. I believe those frames are made by Imbel in Brazil, so they are quality products, but when the purchases were made SA was marketing the 1911 product as US made.

(Northampton County)

I picked up the pistol yesterday, after a quick inspection I believe it is equal in quality to my Springfield Armory full size 1911 or the V10 ultra compact I bought for the wife. I will clean it during the week and put some rounds through it hopefully next weekend.

For those that may be concerned, Zenith only imports these, they do not manufacture them. I looked at the cost of the parts to build a 1911 myself with the same features and I do not believe one could be built for this price.
    Last edited by flejl; October 24th, 2017 at 08:32 AM.

(Northampton County)

Took the pistol out for a very short test today.

Before going out, I did a quick field strip to make sure everything looked good on the inside. The internal machining seemed to be nice quality and internals all of good materials... all metal.

Only had time to run 3 full magazine through it, no failure to feed or eject, sites were spot on for my old eyes and recoil felt about the same as my full size SA GI 1911.

All ammo used was Winchester white box 230grain FMJ.

The only oddity was 2 of 3 magazines did not lock back after the last round. I was a little surprised since these are mecgar mags, but this could be due to the "newness" of everything.

The other things worth mentioning is the trigger pull is "a little stiff" for a 1911, but most of the Zenith reviews I read stated this. I had no problem with the additional "pull" needed, and given this will eventually become my CCW, it may even be a good safety feature.

My son also fired a few rounds and did well with it, but oddly enough he said he prefers the tiny sites on my SA full size 1911... I guess that is the advantage of having 32 year younger eyes.

So far, I would say this is a great buy if you are looking for 1911 Commander size pistol and you are not hung up on "designer labels."

Bang for the buck, it still seems like a good deal.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the update. I keep going back to look at the blued and ss version. Both really looking guns. Seems anything made in Turkey ends up being a solid gun - don't know how much longer i'll hold out .............................

Quote Originally Posted by flejl View Post
    Took the pistol out for a very short test today.

Before going out, I did a quick field strip to make sure everything looked good on the inside. The internal machining seemed to be nice quality and internals all of good materials... all metal.

Only had time to run 3 full magazine through it, no failure to feed or eject, sites were spot on for my old eyes and recoil felt about the same as my full size SA GI 1911.

All ammo used was Winchester white box 230grain FMJ.

The only oddity was 2 of 3 magazines did not lock back after the last round. I was a little surprised since these are mecgar mags, but this could be due to the "newness" of everything.

The other things worth mentioning is the trigger pull is "a little stiff" for a 1911, but most of the Zenith reviews I read stated this. I had no problem with the additional "pull" needed, and given this will eventually become my CCW, it may even be a good safety feature.

My son also fired a few rounds and did well with it, but oddly enough he said he prefers the tiny sites on my SA full size 1911... I guess that is the advantage of having 32 year younger eyes.

So far, I would say this is a great buy if you are looking for 1911 Commander size pistol and you are not hung up on "designer labels."

Bang for the buck, it still seems like a good deal.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast