Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: M16A1 Clone Build

Sexy.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berks_Iraq_Vet View Post
    She turned out very nice.

Brownell's (NDS) upper. Brownell's 1/7 retro barrel assembly. Surplus -A1 pistol grip and handguards.

Anderson lower(May swap out with Brownell's retro lower in future, or not)
    -A2 Stock: Like the longer LOP.

Also put a Geissele G2S Trigger in. Why? Because it was there.
    Great looking Rifle!

(Washington County)

I'm putting one together and patiently waiting for the uppers to appear back in stock at Bronwells. I just got Brownell's M16A1 furniture set and I'm using an Anderson lower because I'm not too clone crazy. I just couldn't figure out what to do with these Anderson lowers I keep acquiring so cheap.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I'm putting one together and patiently waiting for the uppers to appear back in stock at Bronwells. I just got Brownell's M16A1 furniture set and I'm using an Anderson lower because I'm not too clone crazy. I just couldn't figure out what to do with these Anderson lowers I keep acquiring so cheap.
    These days, you never have enough Anderson lowers at the prices they are selling for.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    The original Colt scopes for the AR15/M16 were 3x20 marked Colt (engraved) made in USA, these were made for Colt by Realist, Colt then contracted them to a Company in Japan (believe it was Hakko) these were 3x20 marked Colt (painted), there are/were also copies made in China, the original Realist mfg scopes are tough to get & can bring $300-500, the Japanese mfg (but real Colt contract scopes) are also popular & can bring $250-400

I have two of the late 3x20's, they are well made, bright and clear and the BDC turret works as it should

http://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/re...es/Colt3x.html
    Thanks for the info. A nam vet friend of mine said they were chinese,
    probably meant japan.

(Monroe County)

Original AR15 / M16 rifle without "forward assist") (Or as known in the 60's - "fraudward assist")

Back in the early 1970s, there were a couple of big east coast gun distributors that advertised through the old Shotgun NEWS. There were always gun "DEALS" going on back then. Remember working with another FFL holder friend to purchase 10 (ten) Colt SP-1 AR15 and 10 (ten) Armalite AR180 rifles. Price in that quality was $219 each plus freight which to recollection was about $30. Then we split the rifles and took five of each.

The older early version Colt made rifles offered commercially available through those wholesale warehouse outfits in those days looked to be except for auto selective fire components, basically the same as military stuff of the early 1960s.

About the same time in 1972, I worked for a Defense Contractor in Massachusetts. Every couple of weeks, it was my job to go down to the receiving dock and check-in two (2) M16 rifles. The company had a contract for the development of various types of 5.56 NATO ammunition. There was an underground firing range in one of the outlining buildings only accessible through long dark tunnels. Would take the M16 rifles back up to my office for tagging and creation of the inventory historical record folders. Would sit there during lunch time examining the Colt rifles. What intrigued me most was that those rifles being marked as AR15 with rampant Colt logo on the left and also deeply stamped in big letters as M16 with 5.56 NATO and United States Government Property upon the right side of the receiver. Those had the installed cam selector switch with receiver designation SAFE - SEMI - FULL and of course a full auto bolt carrier group instead of the abbreviated semi auto version as for civilian Colt AR15 rifles. Sometime along the way, the ATF had Colt modify the machining on their commercially available AR15 lower receivers so that selective fire components could not be simply dropped in to convert the arm to a military style M16 rifle.

Not too long ago, there was offered on the classified ad section of this board an as new early SP-1 type Colt AR-15 rifle. That one looked to be one of those original rifles from the early 1960s as described. Those old Colt AR15 rifles do show up from time to time.
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; October 13th, 2017 at 03:18 PM.
    "Make peaceful revolution impossible, violent revolution is inevitable." JFK

Very nice. I've got an A1 clone build on my slate for sometime in 2018. I'll be scrounging up parts until then so the bills don't get noticed too badly
    Your neighborhood friendly candyman, Tim

(Westmoreland County)

I have an 'A1 clone on an old Sendra Lower. I've had it since the mid-80s. It's an old friend.

I know the NDS lowers are good quality but I just CANNOT bring myself to own any weapon with the name North Dakota Spud on the side. Nope, I just can't.

(Allegheny County)

I made a 16"carbine length ...

(Delaware County)

I have an mid 60's Colt, SP-1 no bolt assist, and the Colt scope, made in the U.S.
    You piece looks very close.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast