Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default 9mm: 124+p vs 147+p

Which round is better against barriers? By barriers, I mean windshields, thick jackets, drywall, etc. Thank you!
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.Ē - George Washington

(Washington County)

Default Re: 9mm: 124+p vs 147+p

Well In wood. Like 4x4s, 147 seems to penetrate better with out tumbling or breaking apart. But I usually use old dry rot wood so that might play a part.

In drywall I donít think it would make much of a difference unless itís multiple layers.

(Lycoming County)

If barriers are really a concern for you, check out the Leighi Defense extreme penetrators. The test I've seen done with them are pretty impressive.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    If barriers are really a concern for you, check out the Leighi Defense extreme penetrators. The test I've seen done with them are pretty impressive.
    I think they’re great rounds, but 20 rounds for like $30 + shipping is a little tough to swallow.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.Ē - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Which round is better against barriers? By barriers, I mean windshields, thick jackets, drywall, etc. Thank you!
    Isn't barrier penetration best achieved with bonded rounds? I guess after that it becomes a question of velocity vs. momentum
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I think they’re great rounds, but 20 rounds for like $30 + shipping is a little tough to swallow.
    Agreed, kinda why I'm going by online reviews. I personally wouldn't buy them because of the cost. I don't really worry about barrier penetration either though so I stick with what functions best. Currently that's Hornady 124gr critical.

Quote Originally Posted by GinzoMatic View Post
    Isn't barrier penetration best achieved with bonded rounds? I guess after that it becomes a question of velocity vs. momentum
    Bullet design has a lot to do with it I believe. Just thinking, but 124gr NATO ball would probably be a cheap alternative if that's a major concern.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GinzoMatic View Post
    This^^^. If you need to defeat a car door, windshield, so on look into a bonded round like the Federal Bonded 9mm. A JHP will have a tendency to deform and in some cases separate upon impact.
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...5-p-58970.aspx

(Montgomery County)

Muzzle energy is noticeably lower with 147gr vs 124 and 115.

I've been running Federal 124gr +P LE HST ammo, haven't done a whole lot of barrier testing with it, but figure if I really need to punch through something heavy, I should probably be using a rifle or some slugs.

(Bucks County)

Hit the barrier. Hit it again at zachary the same spot. Do it again. You're in.

I don't think special carry ammo is necessary. Most people will miss anyway. Spend the extra money on practice ammo and training.
    "Take the guns first, then worry about due process" Trump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast