Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Marlin Guide Gun 45/70 Loads

Hey Guys, just picked up an early Marlin G G with a ported barrel, I'll use it for deer and black bear but I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions for loading this 45/70 for deer and bear. What kind of Bullets and Powder, I have Winchester and Remington brass and CCI BR2 primers.
    Last edited by Badger Tuff; October 11th, 2017 at 07:17 AM.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Marlin Guide Gun 45/70 Loads

Surprised this hasn't got more response.
    My 45/70 is dedicated to cast, has never seen a jacketed bullet.
    Current load is a .459, 405 gr. Lee HB, 1/2 ww/pb, bhn 12, 22.0 gr. of 2400 with dacron filler and a fed primer. OAL 2.550
    Runs close to 1300 fps over they chrony.
    This is a low level 2 load according to Lyman. FWIW the Parker/Ackley power equation rates it up to a 600 lb critter.
    Hope the animals have read his writings!
    My previous load of 26.0 gr 5744, high trapdoor load, with the same components have had no performance problems over the years.
    Have a chance to visit SW Ohio this year. Plan to try it there.
    Last edited by cephas; October 15th, 2017 at 08:57 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Wayne County)

Yeah, not many guys reloading the 45/70. I was kind of looking for a lighter load without the dacron filler.

(Clarion County)

Searched for a particular post I seem to remember but didn't find it. Think one of the mods used Unique in it for deer season one time. No filler needed with Unique.
    However came across this: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=226337
    Paging Bamboomaster, tell us about unique in the 45-70.
    Last edited by cephas; October 17th, 2017 at 02:21 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Searched for a particular post I seem to remember but didn't find it. Think one of the mods used Unique in it for deer season one time. No filler needed with Unique.
    However came across this: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=226337
    Paging Bamboomaster, tell us about unique in the 45-70.
    Hey thanks cephas, some good info there. There is so much info on the 45/70, some guys say use dacron filler other guys say not to because it leaves a ring in your barrel, some say use cast bullets other say jacketed bullets is the way to go. I guess I'll have to gather me up a bunch of different stuff and go at it. Kind of sounds like a nice winter project.

(Westmoreland County)

I prefer the Cast Performance 405gr Lead Flat Point over the minimum charge of RL-7. Very accurate and very consistent. Here's a web site for lead loads. They also have jacketed load data. https://www.realguns.com/loads/4570cast.htm/ I've also loaded and shot Hornady jacketed bullets, and the Nosler 300gr. The Nosler has proven to be a very accurate bullet. I've killed many deer with the 405gr load and it's just plain devastating....not on the meat (shot placement) but a broadside shot puts a large hole all the way thru, and tracking...if any...is minimal. Plus the 405 doesn't expand an cause the exit hole to be huge. BTW, I've never used a filler on any of my 45-70 loads.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Tuff View Post
    Hey thanks cephas, some good info there. There is so much info on the 45/70, some guys say use dacron filler other guys say not to because it leaves a ring in your barrel, some say use cast bullets other say jacketed bullets is the way to go. I guess I'll have to gather me up a bunch of different stuff and go at it. Kind of sounds like a nice winter project.
    if you use the Dacron as it should be used your not gonna ring a chamber./barrel Just fluff the piece of Dacron up enough that it's filling the space between the powder and the bullet base , don't just tramp it down on the powder or fill the space with " un fluffed" Dacron as in a near solid wad. All your trying to do is hold the small powder charge in position , it don't take a very big amount to do this .

You will find a lot of information about it over on http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt and on castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php. Personally, I am loading IMR 4198 at 40gr with a 405gr cast boolit in an SBL model (18.5 inch barrel, same as your GG I believe) for right at 1600 FPS.

I haven't had the fortune to take a bear with it yet, but have plenty of stories from people that punched lengthwise through deer and elk with it. Millions of buffalo were taken with a 45-70 at slower loads.