Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Polished stainless to a mirror finish?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Most of the stainless bar stock of that era used by S&W (and other US gun makers) was made by Carpenter Technology.
    Car Tech used to have a good smallbore rifle team. Years ago, I saw one of their shooting mats. It looked like they made their own mats from a blue material that would have been used as a screen to shield plant workers from UV welding flash.

They also had a run of Rugger rifles made from their SS for their employees. See Picture #8 https://www.gunauction.com/buy/7957677

Sorry for the thread hijack.

(Delaware County)

I don't think I would want a perfect polished finish on my 2 stainless revolvers because one scratch would freak me out. I'd be afraid to use them.

(Berks County)

Cool Re: Polished stainless to a mirror finish?

Quote Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post

They also had a run of Rugger rifles made from their SS for their employees. See Picture #8 https://www.gunauction.com/buy/7957677

There is an error in the posted link. The rifles were not given to employees but available to be purchased by employees and retirees.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
    Car Tech used to have a good smallbore rifle team. Years ago, I saw one of their shooting mats. It looked like they made their own mats from a blue material that would have been used as a screen to shield plant workers from UV welding flash.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
    And the smith and Wesson 629 44mag and spiderco knife. The ruger is a .222 Remington.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    negative.
    the passivization process is to remove any free iron the stainless may have come in contact with..I.E work benches and forming equipment during the production phase.
    stainless does not oxidize(this pertains just to the current discussion regarding 400series ss used in firearms) like alum. once polished stainless will stay polished with no requirements for an another coating. it will not tarnish, fade or otherwise lose it's shine unless exposed to abrasion or environmental conditions that are harsh to ss. the 10% and above chromium contents in stainlesses forms a self passivizing oxide on the surface, that repairs its self...short of iron introduced from outside sources...like scrapping a piece of carbon steel across it....or polishing/grinding with clothes/wheels that were used on carbon steel.
    Stainless guns will rust. When they start it pits fast and deep. It follows the iron in the steel. The passivated s.s. has the surface iron desolved in a weak acid, leaving the chrome to oxidize a very thin layer. This is the protection.

There are many grades of stainless steel. The stuff that never rusts is not useful in guns. The costs of machining alone put it out of the question. You will notice gun stainless is magnetic.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    And the smith and Wesson 629 44mag and spiderco knife. The ruger is a .222 Remington.
    Another thread-jack. Cartech steel, about 25 years old. Rode hard and put away wet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

One stainless that polishes to a mirror finish is food grade. As mentioned, not the type of stainless used in firearms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12