Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for AK

(Butler County)

Default Re: Looking for AK

Quote Originally Posted by borekfk View Post
    If you can find one, then used Mak-90 rifles are generally affordable and are no longer being imported. You'll probably have to swap out the furniture, which can be a pain if it's a slant back receiver, but I believe even Jim Fuller said the Mak-90s are one of the best rifles for someone who wants a no-frills AK rifle for a good price.
    I was going to say MAK 90 also. Very well thought of in the AK world. Can't go wrong with a good WASR either. SAR1 is another good one. Look around the AK operaters union website on what to look for in/on an AK. Canted sight, gas tube, funky rivets ect. ect. Some AK's have a horrible reputation. Buy once, cry once and it will last you a lifetime.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by matrosov View Post
    Me being Russian I'd disagree with WASR being a genuine Russian Pattern AKM statement . Just sayin'. Arsenal fits the bill of an AKM more for me. What I find curious is that a lot of people wouldn't mind paying upward of 2 grand for a quality AR build by DD, BCM, larue, noveske, hell even bone stock Colt at close to grand, etc etc. But when I tell them that my proper AKs cost as much I get WTF are you nuts looks back. Just because AK is designed to be operated by a drunk Russian conscript doesn't mean it doesn't have specs, tolerances, metallurgy and can be build by drunken monkeys with wrenches and hammers. Ok I'm off my soapbox now.
    In fact, a WASR is undeniably a more correct AKM clone than any Arsenal build I am aware of. Wood furniture, fixed stock rear trunnion, 45° gas block, 14-1 left hand threads, slant muzzle brake, etc. Most Arsenal rifles have more in common with 100 series AKs.

(Lebanon County)

sar1 handsdown
    wasr second placehttp://forum.pafoa.org/newreply.php?p=3652180&noquote=1
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lehigh County)

I just got finished cleaning out all of the preservative and oiling my new -16 year WASR 10. I had an order with my LGS for a Blackheart BFV762 B10 but didn't feel good about it since it's a hybrid which uses a US made receiver, barrel and stuff with some Romanian Cugir parts and didn't have much of an internet record. I got a break when the wrong rifle showed up so I cancelled it and found the WASR at a shop in Emmaus.

It works good ergonomically for me. I broke off the radius bone at the elbow in my left arm 30 years ago and have trouble supinating the forearm and wrist enough to get a good grip on my AR and shotgun but the foregrip on the AK is back far enough so I have no problem with it. The smaller (in height) receiver and the curved magazine makes it possible for me to shoot the 30 rounders off of a table without interference while I have to use 10 round mags with my AR.
    NRA Life Member

(Lackawanna County)

I'm bumping this thread because I have an AK question and didn't want to start a new one...

I have been thinking about getting an AK off and on for a while now, I noticed Dunhams has an Inter Ordnance AKM 247C for a sale price of $549. Wood furniture, made in the USA, stamped receiver. Are these rifles any good, or should I steer clear? Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks for the replies, I may have to check it out if my Poofa brethren give me the OK
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post
    I'm bumping this thread because I have an AK question and didn't want to start a new one...

I have been thinking about getting an AK off and on for a while now, I noticed Dunhams has an Inter Ordnance AKM 247C for a sale price of $549. Wood furniture, made in the USA, stamped receiver. Are these rifles any good, or should I steer clear? Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks for the replies, I may have to check it out if my Poofa brethren give me the OK
    IO has probably the worst rep of any AK manufacturer ever.

(Chester County)

For the price of the I.O. AK, you should be able to find a WASR10 or a PSA Freedom AK, from what I've read these wiould be better choices.

(Bucks County)

Time wounds all heals. 2009ish, WASR was junk. Fast forward to present, WASR is great. I am vindicated. I really like the WASR I bought in 2008, all along, and now I am lucky to have it...apparently.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    IO has probably the worst rep of any AK manufacturer ever.
    Yes. Stay away from anything manufacture by IO or Century. The only exception would be a Century M70AB2 underfolder. Their reviews are very good. By all accounts, Century did not build them in house, but used a contractor.

WASR is the best new option.

If you're not concerned about a threaded muzzle or bayonet lug, look at MAK90 or Romanian SAR in the $700 range on the secondary market.

If you want to spend $1k, look at Arsenal on the secondary market. Pricey, but you get a very nice, solid polymer or metal side folding stock worth about $350.
    Last edited by esh21167; November 26th, 2017 at 09:16 AM.

(Bucks County)

My WASR 10/63 has CAI (Century Arms International) on it. Now what?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast