Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for AK

(Westmoreland County)

Default Looking for AK

So, I'm not really an assault rifle guy. Really enjoy long range shooting - both bolt & semi-auto. Been mostly into an AR10 or AR15 for semi's for this reason.

At the same time, I have several 6920's just for fun. With all the guns that I have it seems like I should at least have one AK. Don't want to overspend, and do not know that much about AK's. Seems like WASR10's are the cheapest, but new manufacture and not quite true to the original AK. Should I get an original AK with just enough US parts to make them 922R compliant or is that not that big of a deal. If so, which one? Polish, Yugo, Romanian ??? What is a good price, & where should I get it. I am not as much of a gunbroker fan as I used to be.
    Last edited by MMH; October 8th, 2017 at 04:41 PM.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Looking for AK

Entry level, I would look into a WASR or PSA. The WASR's can be hit or miss, as a good amount of them were half assed assembled. So if you want to go the WASR route, you should at least do the research to figure out what to look for, or take someone with you that does.

The PSA AK's are just like the AR's. They are cheap and effective. Don't expect any glamour. The internals are so-so, and the barrels are not chf, so a lot of AK purists turn their nose at them, but the few that I've handled they are a good entry level one. You don't have to go big or go home and go straight for the Arsenal or VEPRS.

HOWEVER... if you like long range shooting, you might want to look into a VEPR chambered in .308. Contrary to popular belief, AK's are not that inaccurate. and a vepr .308 can very well be as accurate as a .308 AR.

(Columbia County)

I start off by saying careful using the term “assault rifle “when referring to a semi auto or you will never hear the end of it on this website. Just as bad as using the term “clip” instead of magazine.

In response to your question there are some websites solely dedicated to AK (s) , AK operators Union is one of them . It also contains youtube videos of various AK brands being torture tested as well as advice on buying them.

http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774...outfitting-ak/

My problem with AK(s) is a lot of them are marketed by Century Arms and I not a fan of their products. Arsenal seems to have a good reputation but they cost a lot more.
    Last edited by eagleclaw; October 8th, 2017 at 05:04 PM.

(Washington County)

First of all, it's not an assault rifle. That said, get the WASR.

(Berks County)

"Assault Rifle".......SMFH..................
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(Chester County)

I'd recommend checking the AK Operator's Union vids on youtube, The AK Forum and the AK47 forum on ar15.com. Tons of good info on these sites, check out the "AK Abuse" thread in the AK Discussion forum on ar15.com, it was started by and more or less moderated by Ron, one of the range managers at Battlefield Las Vegas that oversees the armorers who maintain all kinds of weapons that are fired FA and SA to the tune of thousands of rounds weekly.

After reading the whole thread @ arfcom and watching Robski's vids at AKOU, I chose a new manufacture WASR10. I have not been disappointed, check the last two numeric digits of the serial number following the dash, as they correlate to the year of manufacture, mine is -15, indicating 2015 mfr. date.

Good luck.

(Lehigh County)

While I 2nd doing some research before plopping down any $$. I would first ask what is your endgame with this rifle? A shooter? A safe queen?
    For a shooter a CAI WASR series is fine.. Beware of CAI build quality and look at one before you decide to purchase..
    I'm not gonna knock Arsenal or any other top end AK builders.. but lets be honest.. an AK pattern rifle is an AK.. if you want the name and the range bragging status then spend $1K on an AK..
    Keep in mind it will shoot as well as your WASR and cost 2x as much.

food for thought.

(Bedford County)

Another vote for a WASR. Best bang for the buck currently.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    .. but lets be honest.. an AK pattern rifle is an AK.. if you want the name and the range bragging status then spend $1K on an AK..
    Keep in mind it will shoot as well as your WASR and cost 2x as much.

food for thought.
    100% disagree with this. I've owned and handled several AKs. Ranging from IO to Rifle Dynamics and I can say with 100% certaintity that an AK patterned rifle is an AK is a grossly uneducated statement.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    100% disagree with this. I've owned and handled several AKs. Ranging from IO to Rifle Dynamics and I can say with 100% certaintity that an AK patterned rifle is an AK is a grossly uneducated statement.
    lol ok

I shall defer to you from now on..

Thanks

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast