Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for AK

Default Re: Looking for AK

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    So, I'm not really an assault rifle guy. Really enjoy long range shooting - both bolt & semi-auto. Been mostly into an AR10 or AR15 for semi's for this reason.

At the same time, I have several 6920's just for fun. With all the guns that I have it seems like I should at least have one AK. Don't want to overspend, and do not know that much about AK's. Seems like WASR10's are the cheapest, but new manufacture and not quite true to the original AK. Should I get an original AK with just enough US parts to make them 922R compliant or is that not that big of a deal. If so, which one? Polish, Yugo, Romanian ??? What is a good price, & where should I get it. I am not as much of a gunbroker fan as I used to be.
    1. I have several of the "higher end" Arsenal AK, but for some reason, I enjoy the hell out of shooting my WASR. No problem recommending the post 2008 WASR's.

2. I disagree with your statement above. I think they are closer to an "original AK" as you can reasonably get on this market without dropping some significant coin on a Polytech/Norinco.

They are cheap and rugged enough that you shoot them a lot and not worry about finish wear or round count.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    lol ok

I shall defer to you from now on..

Thanks
    Glad I could change your mind. Let me know if I can explain anything else about AKs or about life in general. I am here to help you.

(Berks County)

Just saw a WASR in the classifieds for $550 with a couple hundred rounds. I'm assuming you want 7.62x39 caliber. For new retail first AK, they're tough to beat. If you want to spend $1k, look for a lightly used Arsenal 107FR with folding stock.

(Cumberland County)

I highly recommend James and JD Tactical in Florida. He use to be part of Spikes Tactical but has been on his own for a while. He has a stellar reputation in the AK world. I had him build me an AK-74 underfolder and an AK-47 with fixed stock. Quality work and a great Russian Red color that he also mixes and applies himself. Call him, you will soon see he is a class act. He will not be happy until you are 100% happy. A quality gun for just a little more than a WASR but less than an Arsenal or better. I love both of mine !!! I'll post pics of mine as soon as I find them - I have posted them before years back.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/705958216

Good luck whatever way you go !
    Last edited by cruzans; October 9th, 2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: pic added
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Berks County)

Most in the AK world are not big fans of US made barrels and prefer cold hammer forged barrels. Depending on your budget, if you're considering a build and want a high quality 'buy once, cry once' rifle, I'd recommend a Polish kit and Polish Radom cold hammer forged barrel from Arms of America, and a Polish receiver from Childers. Total kit, barrel, receiver, and build cost will run you about $1000-$1200, but it would be an excellent rifle. That's if you want a high end rifle that will likely be worth what you paid for it. Top builders include Two Rivers Arms, My Northwest Guns/Matt Yeamans, Piece of History Firearms. There's also PA's Bloss Industries up in Blossberg that does very nice work. If you just want a run of the mill AK variant, WASR for fixed stock; NPAP DF for an underfolder are about the best current deals.

Just like buying anything else, you have different price points. As others have said, avoid Century Arms builds. They import the WASR and NPAP, but don't build them. Cruise on over the www.akfiles.com and www.theakforum.net. Excellent forums.
    Last edited by esh21167; October 9th, 2017 at 08:08 PM.

KREBS or ARSENAL (on a bulgarian receivers/parts, not Saigas), if you want a slam dunk out of the box perfectly working perfectly spec'd AK. Although with KREBS you'd get a perfectly fixed SAIGA if you want to split hairs but they are sweet rifles. Unfortunately with AK variants in my opinion you don't have a clear cut gradation of complete trash, entry level, mid level, gourmet dish like you do with ARs. You have gourmet dishes and then you have a hodge podge of hit or misses with the rest of the brands/variants. There are quite a few people shooting da heck out of their WASRs with nay a problem. And then there are people like me who had not a thing but problems with those things including catastrophic failures and will never go back to them.

KREBS and there are few other shops fall more in custom built category. Arsenal is technically mass production and some consider them over priced, I am not one of those people. Love my milled and side folder stamped 7.62 variants even though I had to fix some "minor" issues with stamped version.

And yeah even though we all know what you meant when you said "assault rifle". Proper nomenclature would probably be military styled semi automatic rifle. Since assault rifle is a misnomer that is used by total gun control proponents. An assault rifle would be your select fire, stamp needed, pre 1986 production rifle that'll cost you 20 grand or so.
    Last edited by matrosov; October 10th, 2017 at 03:01 PM.

(Allegheny County)

WASR. Voted CU's "Best Buy in AKs" every year for the past 12 years or so.

Genuine Russian pattern AKM - even down to the utilitarian Gulag-quality fit/finish.

Go here for the history of Romy guns; http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/model.shtml
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    WASR. Voted CU's "Best Buy in AKs" every year for the past 12 years or so.

Genuine Russian pattern AKM - even down to the utilitarian Gulag-quality fit/finish.

Go here for the history of Romy guns; http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/model.shtml
    Except without dimples.

(Philadelphia County)

If you can find one, then used Mak-90 rifles are generally affordable and are no longer being imported. You'll probably have to swap out the furniture, which can be a pain if it's a slant back receiver, but I believe even Jim Fuller said the Mak-90s are one of the best rifles for someone who wants a no-frills AK rifle for a good price.

Me being Russian I'd disagree with WASR being a genuine Russian Pattern AKM statement . Just sayin'. Arsenal fits the bill of an AKM more for me. What I find curious is that a lot of people wouldn't mind paying upward of 2 grand for a quality AR build by DD, BCM, larue, noveske, hell even bone stock Colt at close to grand, etc etc. But when I tell them that my proper AKs cost as much I get WTF are you nuts looks back. Just because AK is designed to be operated by a drunk Russian conscript doesn't mean it doesn't have specs, tolerances, metallurgy and can be build by drunken monkeys with wrenches and hammers. Ok I'm off my soapbox now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast