Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Coyote Hunting in Franklin County

Just wondering if anyone on here has had any success at hunting coyotes in Franklin County?? I've heard of some success stories near Mercersburg, but what about the Saint Thomas, Fort Loudon Area's

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Coyote Hunting in Franklin County

Get yourself a yip call and call just before dark along back roads.

Put a piece of ribbon in the tree where you heard the coyote bark - yips.

Come back a few days later and call them in.

The best time is just before dark and first thing in the morning.

They don't like to run around in the middle of the day.

(Franklin County)

im excited to do some coyote hunting in franklin county, well since i live there that would make sense. but seriously i wouldnt mind trying some hunting out that way. i will agree with rifleman on the techniques. i think a call, good cover, and maybe even a decoy if theyre legal would be the way to go. id rather do it first thing in the morning though, cant run out of shooting light then.

I don't know all that much about coyotes in your area, but I do know a great deal about different techniques for hunting coyotes. I'd be more than happy to throw out some tips here if you'd like. I can tell you that it's a blast.

(Fulton County)

i know where they are

but im not telling

(Franklin County)

haha fulton. i know where some are too. i know you find them in the bowl and in the cove in franklin county and im sure sideling has some. the place i used to hunt in harrisonville had some. bears too. harrisonville is a hunters paradise, if you have some good land and access to it. i think as far as st thomas area goes..the farm land that crowsnest hunts on can support a decent population, but they just arent there as far we know. him and i good hunting buddies. ive seen the land, and its prime habitat, plenty of brushy fields, acres of woods, a stream surrounded by trees on both sides .... but i dont know of anyone who hunts coyotes around here but up in the mountains.

(Fulton County)

we have seen tracks 20 feet from my freinds front door and you hear them at night sometimes. but you never see them.

I hunt coyotes all the time and I will say, unless you know what you're doing or get lucky, you won't see coyotes. One of the best ways to see coyotes is with a spotlight. They are primarily nocturnal or are out early in the morning, they're heading back to hide usually about 3 hours (at most) after sunlight. Sometimes you'll see them out during the day, or before major storms come in, but usually you'll see them at night. I'm in West Texas so I don't know all the laws on spotlights there, make sure you find them out before you go out with one, so that the game wardens don't think you're trying to poach deer. On spotlights, red lenses are great because the animals can't see them, and you can still see the animals. They take some getting used to seeing in the red light though. What you want to look for is the reflection of the eyes, they're "shiny". Always make sure that you identify your target before you shoot, you definately don't want it to be a cow, someone's dog or something like that (their eyes shine too). A locater call is always handy because it'll make all the coyotes start sounding off and give you an idea of where they are. Learn to talk with them and you won't regret it. If you'd like any other tips on calling or techniques to hunt them, let me know.