Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Concerts on borough property?

When a concert venue is renting public property from a borough or township, does the venue get to override state gun laws?

My wife went to the Hunter Hayes charity concert in Pottstown Pa today, held outside at the Memorial Park which is owned and operated by the Pottstown Borough. The venue renting the borough property is Citadel for the Citadel Palooza tour.

The wife went to the concert CC, but while in line to enter the park, she noticed security was using a hand held metal detector looking for weapons. She ending up stepping out of line and returning her handgun back to the car to be locked up.

I did do a Internet search looking for a similar experience, but came up empty.

Regards, Rich

Default Re: Concerts on borough property?

By the time you were done arguing with the cops , town brass , etc , the concert would be over.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Delaware County)

No one can override state law. In the situation your wife encountered seems like The likely scenario is that the concert producer rented the property. That would make the producer in temporary control of the property. Just like property owner can restrict guns on its property and ask you to leave if you are found with a gun or be guilty of trespass, I think the event producer can restrict a gun while it is control of the property. Of course, that is an educated guess.

(Montgomery County)

Their was no arguing, the wife saw the hand held metal detector and took the firearms back to the car before their was a scene. I did not go to the concert.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by allenr View Post
    No one can override state law. In the situation your wife encountered seems like The likely scenario is that the concert producer rented the property. That would make the producer in temporary control of the property. Just like property owner can restrict guns on its property and ask you to leave if you are found with a gun or be guilty of trespass, I think the event producer can restrict a gun while it is control of the property. Of course, that is an educated guess.
    That would be my guess also. I did search the Parks and Recreation Department Regulations, but found no info if the renters have the power to override state law.

I can see if the property was not public, the rules and regulations can be set by the renter, but I’m not sure how this scenario pans out with the park being public.