Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Need direction on gifting handgun to 18 year old

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Since he's going g to a shooting even, he can transport the pistol to and from there as long as the pistol and ammunition are in separate containers and separate parts of the vehicle. No LTCF. When he arrives on location, let him know he is free to open carry. No LTCF required.
    The exemption states nothing to what you stated.

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

thank you for the citations. i thought i was correct on this. Little more clarification for everyone.. the bus is a private school chartered or owned bus for the whole shooting team. from west chester university to wherever the shoot is in allentown. not sure on where that is, but guessing it is a private range of some sort. two 25+ year officers have now told me that you cant own one under 21. ugh. Its not even the fact that they dont know the law, its that they won't accept the possibility that they are wrong. the thing i was most worried about was the transport. i figured he could drive up with it and back if he wanted to but the part about directly to / from shooting range, since there will be an assembly point at the university. But seeing

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.
    makes me think heading to and from the meet point would be covered and ok.

here is the worse part, which i just found out, which is what i am going to have a talk with this officer about. these kids, some are shooting a handgun for the first time, or near first time. the were directed for the competition to 'pull the gun out of the holster as fast as possible and shoot at the targets". WTH? You just know someone is going to end up shooting themselves in the leg. i couldnt believe it.. maybe he just heard it that way.. but i am going to have a talk with the officer and see what was actually said and ensure that 'safety' is their number one concern.. not 'speed'.

thanks again for all the responses. i appreciate it. I am going to cobble this stuff together and write him a nice friendly email.
    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I blame New Jersey for putting itself above the Constitution

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    The exemption states nothing to what you stated.
    For the bolded part, you are correct. Call it an old practice of keeping rifles up front and ammo in the rear.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    This is the part that confuses me. Its easy in a car but how do you transport it on a public bus (like the OP mentioned)? You will be sitting there with a firearm in your backpack.

Maybe at the range only but I do not believe you can transport a firearm for open carry somewhere else without a LTCF.
    Assuming he qualifies for an exception under 6106 (ex:range) he must assure that the firearm is unloaded. If there in no ammo within the gun's physical envelope and there is no ammo in any magazine, backpack transport is relatively simple. No further need for gun/ammo separation

18 PA CSA 6102
    "Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
    IANAL

(Delaware County)

It is legal for him to obtain a gifted firearm but having it with him on a public bus is a whole different story. Is this a bus in Philadelphia?

The laws I know of cover transporting a firearm in a personal car. I don't know if it is ever legal to carry a firearm in your backpack on a bus (without a LTCF).
    What laws do you know of? Can you cite the one about a "personal car". I only know of one area where there is any specific vehicle mentioned and it would not pertain to this situation.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    What laws do you know of? Can you cite the one about a "personal car". I only know of one area where there is any specific vehicle mentioned and it would not pertain to this situation.
    You are correct there is no "personal car" wording in the laws. I guess I was thinking there is a good chance you will be harassed (or arrested) if you are caught carrying a firearm without a LTCF in the city. I don't think if a cop finds a firearm in your backpack or purse you can tell him "I am going to the shooting range" and he will just let you go.

(Delaware County)

You are correct there is no "personal car" wording in the laws. I guess I was thinking there is a good chance you will be harassed (or arrested) if you are caught carrying a firearm without a LTCF in the city. I don't think if a cop finds a firearm in your backpack or purse you can tell him "I am going to the shooting range" and he will just let you go.
    I understand it was an opinion of the way the cops might react. I thought maybe I missed something. I have a ltcf but I do travel to and from the range on public transportation sometimes and once in a while there is someone with me who does not have have one.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12