Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Default Re: Thread about how the NRA is selling us out

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    I'm not for banning anything (let me repeat, this isn't me justifying any regulations) but anyone who didn't see this potentially being on the horizon is either lying or naive. Like I said earlier, this situation is harder than sandy hook for multiple reasons. Like I also said, I see these mods as being extremely different from high cap mags, etc.
    If we want to be okay with allowing our opinions to be swayed by drunk assholes on youtube, then we are doomed and might as well hand over all our guns now. As the saying goes, "For example is not proof". We need to keep fighting every single advance that the anti-gunners make because they will NEVER stop fighting us. Giving shit over with an NRA-approved bow on top at a time when we have control of the entire Federal government is absolutely ridiculous. Abso-f'ing-lutely ridiculous.

Technically, all gun regulations are "on the horizon" if we let them be. The fact that an AR15 was used in Sandy Hook made it just as sensationalized in the short term as far as the MSM is concerned, and that's where the non-gun-educated public gets their information. And quite frankly, 20 little kids were murdered there, which -- right or wrong -- tends to illicit a much more visceral response from the average Joe Citizen than gays in a nightclub killed by a terrorist or country music fans partying in "sin city".

What we have had on our side since day one was the fact that ONE PULL = ONE BULLET has always been the definition of full auto. Now, based on what the NRA is saying, they are alright tossing that definition out the door. Then we are left with a subjective gap in the law that you can drive a truck through.

People will always try to find ways to push the envelop. However, when you have a black and white line drawn in the sand that distinguishes what is and what is not something, then we can feel reasonably secure that we all know where we stand. If not, then you're left with the stupid nonsense that went on with the ATF and their interpretations of shouldering braces. Legal one day, illegal the next, legal again after that... probably destined to be illegal again very soon (especially now).

The gun control advocates will always try to move the goal posts. They are constantly trying to redefine what is "common sense". They redefined it in 1934 as semi auto vs full auto. Now we just accept it. They continue to advance and will always do so. The gun community has made up almost zero ground on the Federal level since 1787. Our biggest "victories" were the result of celebrating that somehow we managed to win the individual right to even keep and bear arms BY ONE VOTE... entire basis of the second amendment which is clear as day to anyone without an agenda literally came down to one vote in SCOTUS. Wake up, everyone. You've all been beaten down so much for so long that as long as someone stops beating you for 2 seconds, it feels like a win.
    Last edited by tacticalreload; October 7th, 2017 at 01:16 PM.

North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

Another good post, tacticalreload. I have to agree that buying time is the only logical explanation for the NRA communication. I still think it was ill-advised, given that Republicans hold both houses and the white house... And the simple fact that our opposition will still think the NRA and its members are evil. There's no way this buys any good will or respect from the antis.

As I said before, I'm not privy to what is going on on Capital Hill, so I'm open to be proved wrong on this, but at this point, I'm not convinced it was a smart move.

And as far as the ATF already making a decision or ruling... No way a bureacratic agency does anything that fast. Especially under a GOP president.

(York County)

This is a duplicate of a post on another thread, but apropos here too:

I "joined" the NRA many years ago. I put "join" in quotes because it simply amounted to paying my membership dues, not any sense of 'belonging' or having joined something. I've stuck with it since.

Since "joining", I have to say I've got pretty much nothing out of it. My primary experience of "being a member" has been solicitations for all sorts of unrelated services as they make money by selling their list, and constant invocations to donate even more money.

Couple that with some pretty wiffly-waffly positions on gun rights.

If the LEFT controlled both houses of congress AND the presidency AND a very strong lobbying organization AND both a recent and any-that-come-up for the next three years SCOTUS appointments, they'd be romping and rolling, not waffling and wiffling... Seriously. If the left had what we have now, guns would be illegal period. But instead of rolling back even some of the incursions the left has made in recent decades, we're pissing on each other and acting like wussies.

It all adds up to 'no more'. I recently got my annual re-up notice, and I'm not renewing.

To the NRA and the Republican party I say this: Y'all have your dream scenario: we fought and voted and gave you both houses of congress, the presidency, the court, etc.

Use it or lose it, bitches. If you don't use it, you'll have finally convinced me you're just as craven a swamp-dweller as I ever feared.
    DGAF

(Perry County)

The reality is that Ryan is a Fudd, (I have no problem with the term because they don't respect the 2A) McConnell is a squishy ball of clay and Trump is a populist. I have no faith, regardless of party stance that these three would streamline a law that they would rationalize isn't gun control, just some loophole closing. There would be more than enough Dem support to overcome any Republican opposition.

The House is in session about 8 weeks between now and Christmas the Senate is as well. They can do a lot of damage in that time.

The NRA had to know the backlash they would face. They rarely make missteps so either they changed their mission statement, fucked upped badly or are trying something that, on the surface, appears to be wrong-headed but has a purpose that isn't easily apparent.

I'm waiting to see. I'm not sending them any money right now but I'm not cutting up my card and cancelling my endowment membership.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    The reality is that Ryan is a Fudd, (I have no problem with the term because they don't respect the 2A) McConnell is a squishy ball of clay and Trump is a populist. I have no faith, regardless of party stance that these three would streamline a law that they would rationalize isn't gun control, just some loophole closing. There would be more than enough Dem support to overcome any Republican opposition.

The House is in session about 8 weeks between now and Christmas the Senate is as well. They can do a lot of damage in that time.

The NRA had to know the backlash they would face. They rarely make missteps so either they changed their mission statement, fucked upped badly or are trying something that, on the surface, appears to be wrong-headed but has a purpose that isn't easily apparent.

I'm waiting to see. I'm not sending them any money right now but I'm not cutting up my card and cancelling my endowment membership.
    Fair enough if that's how you see it. However, put me firmly into the camp that believes that given the current congressional makeup if they either fought the opposition or at least shut their collective mouths, nothing would have happened just like nothing has happened many times before... and that they did more damage than they prevented. Fudd or no, Republicans don't want to go on the record as supporting gun control and Trump stood in front of the NRA crowd and pledged his allegiance to us, but this gives them an out where they have enough plausible deniability to stab us in the backs... after all, the NRA speaks for 5 millions members and they have apparently spoken in favor.

I can't see the ends justifying the means in this case in any way shape or form. If anything, they have emboldened and given tremendous momentum to the opposition instead of taken it away, as far as I can see it. I've tried hard to see the other side, and even it works out that nothing comes of it, it still sucks balls. So, it's either duplicitous, or it's incompetent. I don't pay people to be either.

And Congress is still in session for 8 weeks until Christmas regardless.

The NRA will not get another dime from me the rest of my life.

The NRA has demonstrated all too many times they only support their own twisted version of the second amendment. Seems to be the same version some old sporting clay shooter pheasant hunter fudd supports.(and doesn't care about any other aspect of the 2A)

(Chester County)

Copied from another thread written by little ol' me.

Republicans are going to cave on the bump stock. The NRA is going get the best it can with the power it has right now. Let me explain it to you in simple terms so even the thickest skulls can understand. If you go to the store with ten dollars you are able to buy ten dollars worth of food. You may be able to find some bargains with that ten dollars like day old bread and bananas with some brown spots on them but you still end up with ten dollars worth of food. If you try and tell the store owner that you have ten dollars but you want more food because you think it's only right because his prices are high he'll tell you to shop somewhere else. Congress is no different.

There is no more Constitution, there is no more doing the right thing, it's only money and power that buys votes. If you don't have the money you get no vote. It's as simple as that. The NRA used to be able to tell Congress critters that they have money and the power of their members to go and vote for them but since Congress critters see there are over a hundred million gun owners and only a five million holding the line it's a pretty dicey situation and they'd vote to eliminate the second amendment or regulate it out of existence without blinking an eye to the group that comes up with the cash.

There are communist democrats, never Trumpers, Rinos and wishy washies that are going to sell your rights down the river and to you it's the NRA's fault. Piss off.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    The NRA will not get another dime from me the rest of my life.

The NRA has demonstrated all too many times they only support their own twisted version of the second amendment. Seems to be the same version some old sporting clay shooter pheasant hunter fudd supports.(and doesn't care about any other aspect of the 2A)

Funny Paul Ryan said just the other day that he never even knew slide fire stocks existed until now and he is a sportsman. So I guess he is on the good side of gun ownership and the rest of us be in the dark or seedy side of it.

Looks like the NRA pissed off more then it's peon members they did what they did without discussing it with the board members.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nr...rticle/2636806

the NRA has ruffled the feathers of its board members who claim the association did not notify its full board of directors before hitting the airwaves late Thursday with the announcement. Board members complain they were left in the dark on Thursday and that they should have known about the shift in position as they routinely bear the brunt of NRA policy decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Looks like the NRA pissed off more then it's peon members they did what they did without discussing it with the board members.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nr...rticle/2636806
    This too shall pass. Wayne and co. are used to laying low until the smoke clears. Why should they be any different with their members?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast