Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: SKS sights; front and rear

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Badinov View Post
    I've owned 21 SKS variants Soviet, Yugo, Chinese, Romanian. Down to 13 now.

At one hundred yards none of them got better thsn 3-5" groups. However, every single one of them was on paper at 100yds with 10" shoot and see targets.

That's what it was made to do. Be on target at 100-300 yards. It was never intended as to serve as sniper rifle or even a DMR.

Also, there is no such thing as a HUNGARIAN SKS.
    I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter. I've owned and shot a lot of surplus rifles over the past 10 years. I took a fair condition 59 Yugo SKS in on trade a few months back. I took it out for fun to see what it could do at both 100 and 200 yards from prone using a sling. It shot 10 round strings at 3-4 MOA which is no worse than a stock M1 Garand, M1903A3, M1917, or Mosin Nagant. The SKS with the right ammo can hold it's own (accuracy wise) with other popular surplus rifles.

Four notes:
    One, the SKS is a soft shooter. It was a pleasure to shoot it. It's not as soft as a AR15, but it's much softer than a M1 Garand (I know, two different cartridges ).
    Two, it's tricky to shoot with a sling. Any pressure on the front sling mount will cause the shots to string vertically (up to 6" at 200 yards). I found that I had to maintain a consistent light sling pressure and move the rear sight elevation up 100 yards to get POA=POI.
    Three, it's no cheaper to shoot a SKS than a AR. With the prices of AR's today, I wouldn't waste my time with the SKS platform unless it was used as a "just for fun" plinker. The AR is a much better overall platform that can run rings around a SKS when it comes to accuracy.
    Four, you need to experiment with ammo in order to get the best accuracy out of the SKS platform. I tried three different surplus ammo types before I found one that was consistent in grouping.
    Last edited by Hawk; October 5th, 2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Luzerne County)

https://www.mojosights.com/sample-page/ak-sks/

While I do have an SKS, I left the sights stock as I very rarely shoot it. I did however put the Mojo AKMC rear sight on my WASR-10. The circle of the rear peep sight aligns perfectly with the round ears on the front sight. With aging eyes, it's easy to align the two "circles" when shooting.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    https://www.mojosights.com/sample-page/ak-sks/

While I do have an SKS, I left the sights stock as I very rarely shoot it. I did however put the Mojo AKMC rear sight on my WASR-10. The circle of the rear peep sight aligns perfectly with the round ears on the front sight. With aging eyes, it's easy to align the two "circles" when shooting.
    I forgot all about the MOJO's! I used to have those sights on a Mosin Nagant. They worked pretty well.
    Toujours prêt

Thanks ! Sorry for the late reply.
    More info on the Williams and MoJo!
    I'm more a shooter than a collector. I'm old and it's hard to see! No scope though!!!
    M1, M14, 03A3, SKS, Colt HBAR, Wyndham M4, great. 03A3 best shooter!
    Sgt Steve

(Westmoreland County)

A simple and easy fix for the front post to make thicker is a piece of shrink tubing slip it on heat it up and trim it ! And yer done..... for the rear the tech sight works well. Quite a few years ago I converted a Yugoslav SKS into a para model moved the front sight base back to the gas block and for the rear sight I wanted a peep so I found a cheap action cover and fabricated a simple rear peep with elevation adjustments and mounted it to the back of the cover yes there's a tiny bit of wiggle in most rear covers but that can be tightened up. That carbine shot just as well or better due to the longer sight radius and the sight was mounted on the cover that everyone says not to do . If your semi handy you can easily make up a rear peep the same way .

Shrink tubing...good deal!
    MOJO, checking.
    Sgt Steve

Morning! Thanks for all the input.
    I did the shrink tubing on the front sight.
    Took the stock rear sight used a Dremel and file to widen and deepen that original shallow V notch. Sufficient width and depth so it appears as a half moon the same size (to the eye) as the front “hood” (bottom half of the diameter).
    As I said I don’t collect but shoot.
    So far I’m well pleased.
    Oh yeah-I blued my half moon cut-out on the rear.
    Sgt Steve

200 yards, 5 x 12 orange steel plate, 6 out of 10 so it’s frosty.
    Semper Fi
    Sgt Steve

(Westmoreland County)

Glad it worked out for you . If you ever need to go a little wider on the front site those little red tubes that are on the WD40 cans work well too . And to anyone who has a mosin nagant that shoots high it's an easy way to raise the height of the front sight post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12