Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SKS sights; front and rear

Morning shooters!
    Anyone have first hand info on a good set of front and rear sights for a Russian SKS?
    I see one outfit advertises a rear peep type sight, looks ok.
    Need a "thicker" front sight!
    I'm an olde guy!
    Thanks
    Sgt Steve from SW Pa

(Bucks County)

Default Re: SKS sights; front and rear

search replacement sights for sks Plenty of stuff to be had.

(Allegheny County)

If you currently can't focus on your front sight, adding a rear peep may allow you to do so. Check out Tech Sights: http://www.tech-sights.com/sks-products/
    Looking through a rear peep (Aperture) sight increases the depth of field.
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

If it's an all original Soviet SKS-- the best way to go is keep the rifle it as it is.

The rear peep sights will be the next best option as it will require the least amount of modification to the rifle. Might even be possible to do without permanently altering the rifle. To add the rear aperture peep sight, the dust cover latch pin has to be removed-- which is not so easy to do withought marring the pin and the receiver.

With the rear peep attached it is difficult to disassemble the rifle.

If yer attempting to get better groups out of an sks-- you'll be better off leaving the rifle as it is. The SKS wasn't designed for MOA accuracy. The best you can hope for with any sks is minute-of-man accuracy out to 200 yds-- 300 hundred if yer eyes are still good.

If yer trying to accomodate weakening vision-- one option is to paint the front sight post-- night-sight, glow-in-the-darkstuff (I forget the name off the top of my head) if you can get it, or high contrast white or yellow paint in a pinch.

(Allegheny County)

Replacement Receiver Cover Pins are available if the original needs to be removed/replaced to install Tech Sights: https://www.combathunting.com/SKS_RI...Top_Cover.html
    If it was my SKS I'd either modify it to meet my needs or sell it.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

Gotta disagree about accuracy. I've read a few posts over the years where shooters are quite happy with the SKS. I was shooting mine a few years ago and another fellow remarked his surprise at the accuracy of my (Hungarian) SKS.

(Indiana County)

As a collector, I’m not liking those set screws that are jammed into the rear of the receiver on that Techsight.

I had a Williams aperture on a sks years ago, for the price I’d try one of those first.
    KNS makes front sight pins.

Both can be found on Midways website and neither requires any permanent modifications.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Gotta disagree about accuracy. I've read a few posts over the years where shooters are quite happy with the SKS. I was shooting mine a few years ago and another fellow remarked his surprise at the accuracy of my (Hungarian) SKS.
    I've owned 21 SKS variants Soviet, Yugo, Chinese, Romanian. Down to 13 now.

At one hundred yards none of them got better thsn 3-5" groups. However, every single one of them was on paper at 100yds with 10" shoot and see targets.

That's what it was made to do. Be on target at 100-300 yards. It was never intended as to serve as sniper rifle or even a DMR.

Also, there is no such thing as a HUNGARIAN SKS.

(Bucks County)

Yep. My gaff. Yugoslavian.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    As a collector, I’m not liking those set screws that are jammed into the rear of the receiver on that Techsight.

I had a Williams aperture on a sks years ago, for the price I’d try one of those first.
    KNS makes front sight pins.

Both can be found on Midways website and neither requires any permanent modifications.
    I looked at the Williams as a possible non-evasive option, but the reviews were not promising. Primarily the play in the sight after mounting.

I look at it this way, if you just want to plink with your SKS and its a pristine Russian that you want to resell later at more than you paid for it, then shoot it as is. If you want the best accuracy you can get out of your SKS because you like the platform (regardless of manufacturer), then add some aftermarket sights if that's what you need to do because of vision problems.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast