Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carry in philly

(Venango County)

Default Re: carry in philly

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    Thanks for this catch.

If you're a PA resident, you must have a PA LTCF, not any other state permit, to present to a cop. This was a change made because of a "Florida gun permit loophole" scare, claiming that all these mass shooters are everywhere getting Florida gun permits and buying up all sorts of crazy guns. Tweaks were made to exclude PA residents from having their out of state non-resident permits from being recognized.

(If you live in Philadelphia, or Delaware County, you need to also get a Utah permit if you regularly pass through Delaware. Delaware has a very strange setup for carry which bans concealed carry but open carry is permissable under certain conditions; it's also unworkable in practice in LEO encounters particularly in traffic stops. This is likely going to impact you if you shop at Cabela's because the closest Cabela's store to Philly is in Wilmington DE, not the one in Hamburg, PA)

Philadelphia PD is still forced to recognize out of state permits for non-PA residents where PA has reciprocity. This is checked at the time a gun permit lookup is done over the radio.
    I thought the change was due to case law from Hobson McKown (sic?) in which it was ruled that "any person" did not include PA residents. By doing so, they narrowed the rule on exceptions for out of state non-resident permits the way they wanted.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I thought the change was due to case law from Hobson McKown (sic?) in which it was ruled that "any person" did not include PA residents. By doing so, they narrowed the rule on exceptions for out of state non-resident permits the way they wanted.
    Correct. It was and that is part of the rub that, with just reading the statutes, there is always that "case law" boogey-man waiting to trap the unaware. The narrowing of the reciprocity agreements by our recent AG Kane were small in the coffin lid for PA resident using an alien CCW in Pa but McKown was the stake in the heart.

Com. v. McKown, 79 A. 3d 678 - Pa: Superior Court 2013
    Last edited by tl_3237; October 4th, 2017 at 10:57 AM.
    IANAL

(Tioga County)

To the OP - as a former Philly resident that OC'ed for 5 years there, you probably won't get much flack for doing so. When I first started to OC in Philly I had several PPD incidents but then they stopped. Only the first encounter was a bit excessive. I guess word got around the 5th District.

Civilians never gave me a problem but I had many a positive conversation on the topic with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12