Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Butler County)

Default 50 cal ammo cans and silica packs??

I started to put all of my range ammo loosely into 50 cal ammo cans. 45acp, 40 s&w, 9mm and 5.56. I've been buying the cans at rural king at 10.99 each and that seems to be the lowest price around?? Any cheaper for new steel cans? I'd like to put some small silica packs in each can but I haven't found them locally and the ones on eBay seem to come all packed in 1 bag? Any ideas on where to get individually wrapped small silica packs? Thanks.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: 50 cal ammo cans and silica packs??

I was going to suggest Uline, but they sell 5 gallon pails of 600 each, 10 gram silica gel to protect 470 cubic inches, for $134 plus shipping. Maybe a group buy is in order?

Of course if you just happen to have 600 cans this might be just what you need.

Just in case: https://www.uline.com/BL_1004/Silica-Gel-Desiccants

EDIT: Get the 5 gram size if you figure how much space the ammo takes. Actually a better deal 1250 packets for $97 plus shipping. Rated for 235 cubic inches which should work for a nearly full or better can.
    Last edited by gghbi; September 30th, 2017 at 07:21 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lackawanna County)

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a related question. How many small packs do you all put in a full 50 cal ammo can?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by littlefitz View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have a related question. How many small packs do you all put in a full 50 cal ammo can?
    50 cal M2A1 can 7.25"H X 12"L X 6"W = 522 cubic inches so one should be plenty or get the 5 gram size if you figure how much space the ammo takes. Actually a better deal 1250 packets for $97 plus shipping. Rated for 235 cubic inches which should work for a nearly full or better can.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Butler County)

As I look into the silica packs I never knew that they can be "recharged" in the oven or microwave

(Lackawanna County)

Desiccare paks are what military uses. They also have humidity indicator cards: the old "if it's pink it stinks" blue-to-pink circles that most ex-military have seen. The desiccare paks can be "recharged" in a low heat oven. It does take several hours to do this. Never try to speed it up at higher heat or you will burn the packs.