Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Gun Cleaning Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    You guys use kerosene and trans fluid on your stocks and any plastic?
    Actually it is the acetone you have to be careful with. Kerosine is pretty inert and transmission fluid is just oil with a lot of additives. I have been using Eds Red for decades and I never had a problem with it on wood or plastic. I make it by the quart. I mostly use it for cleaning the bores then wiping down the metal parts. If some gets on the stock I just wipe it off and its OK. I would not soak a plastic part in it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    Fully agree and I leave the kaolin out. Dave_n
    Its Lanolin and I always leave it out too. Its hard to find and expensive. Works just fine without it.
    Last edited by Delkal; October 1st, 2017 at 07:00 PM.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Actually it is the acetone you have to be careful with. Kerosine is pretty inert and transmission fluid is just oil with a lot of additives. I have been using Eds Red for decades and I never had a problem with it on wood or plastic. I make it by the quart. I mostly use it for cleaning the bores then wiping down the metal parts. If some gets on the stock I just wipe it off and its OK. I would not soak a plastic part in it though.

Its Lanolin and I always leave it out too. Its hard to find and expensive. Works just fine without it.
    Ok, just wondering.
    Since the stuff doesn’t remove copper fouling I don’t think it’s for me anyway, I was just wondering if the really “light” kerosene oil would seep in wood and turn it mushy after a while.
    I was wondering about discoloration with the trans fluid.

Again, just wondering.

(Bucks County)

(EDIT: Turpentine) is often used to cut Linseed oil when giving a stock an oil finish. It will not soften the wood and should not hurt the oil finish. Kerosine should not hurt the wood either but it will stink for days if you goop it on.

Transmission fluid is red but they just use a little dye. You cant see anything on the metal and I never had anything discolor or turn red.

If a bore is heavily copper fouled you need something with ammonia. I first clean the bore with Eds red, then a dry patch, then Sweets or Shooters choice till no blue patches. then I finish with one more patch of Eds Red. What I like is that when all of the volitiles evaporate you are left with a thin coat of transmission fluid. You don't have to oil the bore after cleaning (I do for long term storage though). Same with the interior parts, wipe off the black crud, then another wipe of Red with a clean rag.

Then oil or grease the moving parts to your liking. and put everything back together.

To finish the exterior metal I use a 1 foot square piece of old T-shirt lightly coated with CLP (I keep them in ziplick bags and use them till they start to get ugly). There is always one on my bench, shooting bag, and on top of the safe. Your done.
    Last edited by Delkal; October 1st, 2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Mixed up Kerosine and Turpentine

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Kerosine is often used to cut Linseed oil when giving a stock an oil finish. It will not soften the wood and should not hurt the oil finish.

Transmission fluid is red but they just use a little dye. You cant see anything on the metal and I never had anything discolor or turn red.

If a bore is heavily copper fouled you need something with ammonia. I first clean the bore with Eds red, then a dry patch, then Sweets or Shooters choice till no blue patches. then I finish with one more patch of Eds Red. What I like is that when all of the volitiles evaporate you are left with a thin coat of transmission fluid. You don't have to oil the bore after cleaning (I do for long term storage though). Same with the interior parts, wipe off the black crud, then another wipe of Red with a clean rag.

Then oil or grease the moving parts to your liking. and put everything back together.

To finish the exterior metal I use a 1 foot square piece of old T-shirt lightly coated with CLP (I keep them in ziplick bags and use them till they start to get ugly). There is always one on my bench, shooting bag, and on top of the safe. Your done.
    I’ve heard of cutting BLO with kerosene for boats and things like axe handles but never for gun stocks.

I do BLO cut with turpentine, not so sure on the kerosene though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I’ve heard of cutting BLO with kerosene for boats and things like axe handles but never for gun stocks.

I do BLO cut with turpentine, not so sure on the kerosene though.
    My bad............It is Turpentine that is used to cut linseed. Kerosine should work too but your rifle would stink for months!

Thanks for pointing this out. Can't rep you until I spread it around some more but its coming.

I will edit my post so no one screws up!

(Clarion County)

Another user of Ed's Red. FWIW here's an article Mr. Harris wrote about Ed's Red.
    http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Delaware County)

I tend to clean my guns regularly. I cleaned up my garage and found 3 cans of WD40. I heard it worked pretty well for gun cleaning. Less smell than favorite Hoppes #9. Works pretty well. It's a better cleaner than lubricant.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    I tend to clean my guns regularly. I cleaned up my garage and found 3 cans of WD40. I heard it worked pretty well for gun cleaning. Less smell than favorite Hoppes #9. Works pretty well. It's a better cleaner than lubricant.
    I really hope you’re being funny.

The only time Water Displacement formula number 40 should be around guns is if you’re out in the rain shooting and want it to help get rid of water til you can get home and clean it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    When it dries, it will furn to varnish and gum up moving parts. Not the end of the world, just spray with wd40 again to dissolve the old then clean with something else.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12