Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Restaurant encounter with NJ couple. Curious ? Complaining ? Educated ?

A few hours ago; I was doing my usual Friday evening visit to Old Country Buffet. And open carrying as usual.
    During one of my several trips to the food bars. A woman asks me if she may ask me a question.
    I refrained from replying "You just did."
    Instead I replied "Sure."

I forget the exact wording of her initial question and the rest of our 1 or 2 minute conversation.
    But if amounted to her informing me that her husband noticing me carrying, began asking her if I was a cop or something, if it was legal, and her saying to her husband "Why don't we ask him ?".
    So that is basically what she asked me; "Am I a cop ?", and "Is this legal ?".
    I refrained from replying "If wasn't legal; don't you think everyone would be freaking out and the cops would have shown up by now ??".

I told here how I am not a cop, how PA is an open carry state, what that means, who can do it, where you can and can not do it, the restaurant is private property, etc ...
    Near the end of our short conversation I asked her if they were from NY. She replied "No. We're from NJ.".
    She thanked me, our conversation ended, and we went our separate ways to get food from the trough.

In the short time it took me to fill my plate. She had gone back to her table with her husband AND the manager was at their table conversing with them.
    With the husband periodically glancing my way during their conversation with the manager.
    After which within a minute or two; they had the waitress at their table and having a conversation with her.
    And again; the husband periodically glancing my way.

If it were not for them talking to the manager, then the waitress, and the husband glancing in my direction periodically.
    My conversation with the woman would have been no different than all the other encounters in which people ask me about my open carrying.

Opinions:
    Did I successfully educate a NJ couple ?
    Were they not swayed and tried complaining to the manager ?
    OR Was their conversations with manager and waitress completely unrelated ?
    --ET

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Restaurant encounter with NJ couple. Curious ? Complaining ? Educated ?

Did the cops show up after they left?

I was at the infamous old country buffet dinner.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Restaurant encounter with NJ couple. Curious ? Complaining ? Educated ?

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post

Opinions:
    Did I successfully educate a NJ couple ?
    Were they not swayed and tried complaining to the manager ?
    OR Was their conversations with manager and waitress completely unrelated ?

Maybe they were trying to tell the manager and waitress that they wanted to pick up the bill of the guy carrying the gun, who looks like a cop, over there.

(Delaware County)

The wife came over to confront and interrogate the MWAG instead of the husband? I guess she keeps his balls in a lock box somewhere in Hackensack.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Montgomery County)

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Gman106 again."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, exactly what I was thinking. If he was so worried about it, HE should be evaluating the situation.

(Bucks County)

Man from New Jersey student of nature. Man noticed buck always sends doe ahead for his own safety.

(Northampton County)

They were probably just curious. I run into dozens of people from NY or NJ ALL THE TIME. They either don't notice or are curious and ask a few questions. It's actually surprising how little they care. Honestly, when somebody is open carrying a sidearm in a holster, I think there is some instinctive belief that you are not doing something wrong. Why would you have it out in the open if you were doing something wrong? Obviously there is a chance one of the Mothers Demand Anal or whatever might give me some shit some day but I really don't believe there are enough of them to make it likely. Some from Jersey probably get a little confused and I never hear a word from them but I think they assume it is likely for some sort of legitimate purpose. All shoppers that have talked to me over ten years were either curious or thanked me for defending their rights. That's the entire eastern half of PA, top to bottom. Including the Lehigh Valley, where about 15% of the plates are NJ in the parking lot.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    The wife came over to confront and interrogate the MWAG instead of the husband? I guess she keeps his balls in a lock box somewhere in Hackensack.
    So I stood up and whipped out my handgun to show her immediatley that I could properley handle a gun,proceeded to shoot the ice cream cones off the stand for bragging my accuracy in any given situation ! They were so impressed with my prowess that they bought me and my guest our dinner and also invited us to visit them in Hackensack and bring along my gun at which time I could veiw her husbands balls in a container labeled Hacky Sacks !

(York County)

Yeah it can be quite a cultural shift for the po folks from NY/NJ to meet people who are law abiding AND open carrying guns. I do an old west event every year in June near Bedford, Pa. We have this group of people who come down from northern NJ to do mounted stunts. They have guns too, but they were weirded out when they saw the random people at the local gas station casually carrying as they did their business. We educated them on Pa laws and now they wish they could do the same.

Keep the riff raff on your side of the mountains please, this side has free, it's the least you can do.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast