Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 1903 Springfield

Good Afternoon,
    I am fortunate to have a BEEEutiful 1903 Springfield in my collection. It does have a serial number below the 800,000 count. It also has a barrel date of 1913.
    Just as I am sure to send nothing but a 'Cowboy Action Load' down the barrel of my 1873 Win .44-40 when sharing this magnificent, historical firearm with family and friends, I want to be sure to show the same courtesy and respect to the 1903 as well. What 'round' would be best to ensure safe firing. I thank You all in advance for your imput.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: 1903 Springfield

FWIW. Don't know myself but another forum I visit had a topic on the 1903 Springfield top and center.
    https://castbulletassoc.org/forum/th...3-springfield/
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

If you reload you could always use a reduced load. There are many listed on reputable powder sites, if you want to fire it at all. Sounds like a great gun.

(Bucks County)

M2 Ball and wear eye protection.

Do yourself a favor and get this. Gen Hatcher was in charge of the original investigation during WWI.

I let somebody borrow mine and never got it back.

I believe the 800k serial numbers are for Springfield manufacture, and something like 280k for Rock Island.

The prevailing wisdom is not to ever fire one. There was a small number of catastrophic receiver failures early in their service.

The reason is the heat treating method the forge workers used. They heated them by eye and some weren't as good at it as they thought.

Something like 75 failed all together. Some were due to trying to shoot 8mm Mauser out of them.

The problem was also attributed to the early brass the ammo was made with, combined with the chamber design of the '03.

There were no failures during its use after 1929.

The chances of one blowing up today with M2 ball are very slim, but there still may be a chance.

I shoot mine but I don't think I'd let a family member or friend do it unless they fully understood the risk, as slim as it might actually be.
    Last edited by RockIsland; September 28th, 2017 at 09:28 PM.

(Bucks County)

My under 800K became a foul weather, woods-hunting gun. The barrel is cut down to 16-1/4", has a home-made but adjustable peep, whole thing is hand-painted camouflaged. Also mounted a 3x9 scope on it. Plenty accurate enough for killing deer at 50-100 yards.

Started out hand-loading to reduce pressures, but over time stopped worrying about the over-blown brittleness stories.