Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fulton County)

Default Traveling to Dulles, VA on business

Hello everyone, I'll be traveling to Dulles, VA within the next couple of weeks on business. I'll also be staying at a hotel next to the Dulles International Airport. I'm pretty apprehensive about bringing my firearm with me, due to the proximity to Washington, DC , but at the same time this is going to be a long road trip for me; and I'm pretty uncomfortable about going on a trip like this without some kind of protection. As far as I can tell, my PA LTCF should be recognized in VA according to this website.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

My planned route will unfortunately do a brief pass through MD. I've read up on the Maryland firearms transportation laws, and it appears that I can store my revolver and ammunition in a lock box, and be in compliance with the law; correct? (I'm driving a truck, so I don't have a trunk).

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/FAQs.aspx

https://www.gunlawguide.com/wp-conte...0-MARYLAND.pdf

Thank you guys in advance for any advice that you may have on this. It's a damn shame we have a weak kneed GOP Congress that won't pass National Reciprocity, so I wouldn't have to be paranoid about getting my ass thrown in prison over Maryland's asinine gun laws.
    Last edited by Justin2012; September 28th, 2017 at 12:12 AM.

Default Re: Traveling to Chantilly, VA on business

I am not going to hazard a guess what MD may or may not do to you. Even if you are in full compliance it wouldn't guarantee anything.

But you could go the long way and sneak through WVA, and over to VA, bypassing MD. Not sure where you live, or how far out of your way that would take you, but it is a potential workaround if you are really worried, or really principled.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by hog45 View Post
    I am not going to hazard a guess what MD may or may not do to you. Even if you are in full compliance it wouldn't guarantee anything.

But you could go the long way and sneak through WVA, and over to VA, bypassing MD. Not sure where you live, or how far out of your way that would take you, but it is a potential workaround if you are really worried, or really principled.
    You know what, I might just do that. It's out of the way, but at least I won't have to do a brief pass through the iron curtain.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2012 View Post
    You know what, I might just do that. It's out of the way, but at least I won't have to do a brief pass through the iron curtain.
    Really no way to get there without going through MD. But....... if you go down 70S to 522S through Berkeley Springs to I81S then I66E.
    You will be in MD for less than 5 minutes, with nowhere to stop, even if you wanted to. You could also take 522 to winchester, then 7, and 267 to Dulles. Once you cross the Potomac, you are in the free state of VA. For the time being anyway.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Really no way to get there without going through MD. But....... if you go down 70S to 522S through Berkeley Springs to I81S then I66E.
    You will be in MD for less than 5 minutes, with nowhere to stop, even if you wanted to. You could also take 522 to winchester, then 7, and 267 to Dulles. Once you cross the Potomac, you are in the free state of VA. For the time being anyway.

I have spent a lot of time in the Shenandoah Valley over the past 10 years in summer. I am from near Philly an I take 76 to 70 and then southwest from Hancock MD. As stated above you will pass through MD in five minutes. I keep the gun in the car and drive 5 MPH under the speed limit to avoid a stop, taking care to obey every traffic sign carefully when encountered. Of course if you want to be safe you can always lock up the gun for the very few miles you must.

If you have the misfortune to have to be in DC, better make sure you understand the applicable law. I am not sure what it is exactly because it has been challenged recently, and I do not know how that ended up.

(Delaware County)

I have an iPad/iPhone app that provides information on state gun laws, reciprocity, etc. i looked up the relevant DC law section and here is what it says:

Washington D.C. Code
    22-4504.02. Lawful transportation of firearms.
    (a) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited by the law from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be permitted to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm if the firearm is transported in accordance with this section. (b)(1) If the transportation of the firearm is by a vehicle, the firearm shall be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.
    (2) If the transporting vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console, and the firearm shall be unloaded.
    (c) If the transportation of the firearm is in a manner other than in a vehicle, the firearm shall be:
    (1) Unloaded;
    (2) Inside a locked container; and
    (3) Separate from any ammunition.
    If you have a smart phone or tablet, it is free and frequently updated. It is made by Workman Consulting LLC and named CCW Concealed carry. I expect it is available for Android devices too.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by allenr View Post
    I have spent a lot of time in the Shenandoah Valley over the past 10 years in summer. I am from near Philly an I take 76 to 70 and then southwest from Hancock MD. As stated above you will pass through MD in five minutes. I keep the gun in the car and drive 5 MPH under the speed limit to avoid a stop, taking care to obey every traffic sign carefully when encountered. Of course if you want to be safe you can always lock up the gun for the very few miles you must.

If you have the misfortune to have to be in DC, better make sure you understand the applicable law. I am not sure what it is exactly because it has been challenged recently, and I do not know how that ended up.
    If you travel THROUGH DC, interstate transport law applies. Once you stop, all bets are off. I definitely wouldn't have a gun or even one round in my car in DC. I lived in VA for almost thirty years. DC is more gun unfriendly than even NJ or NY.

This summer I was in Washington DC. I drove from Philly to DC and stayed in Arlington VA. Since Arlington has reciprocity I chose a hotel in VA. I drove through Maryland, NJ and DC during my trip. I did have my firearm with me. If you have a PA LTCF you can carry in VA. Just stow your gun in your trunk cased with the ammo separate. This is not a problem. The probability that you will be stopped, your trunk search, the firearm found encased, that a unlawful arrest with me made that you would not have the protection of federal law is so miniscule. The odds of you being a victim of crime is greater. I cannot understand why anyone would drive out of their way if they are in compliance with law.