Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Bravermans Closing

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    I myself have never been to Bravermans, but as a patron and big fan of a small shop in Indiana, Pa, I've seen the squeeze endured due to internet sales and post election surplus.
    But Verona Gun Safe is a fairly new store that opened up long after the rise of Internet sales. And it's reasonable to think that they took away some of Braverman's business, since they're only 5 miles away, they're in a MUCH nicer town, and they have a store that's more inviting. With the Internet and a local competitor putting the squeeze on them, Bravermans should have tried to adapt. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while since I was in there, but I didn't see any changes.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    But Verona Gun Safe is a fairly new store that opened up long after the rise of Internet sales. And it's reasonable to think that they took away some of Braverman's business, since they're only 5 miles away, they're in a MUCH nicer town, and they have a store that's more inviting. With the Internet and a local competitor putting the squeeze on them, Bravermans should have tried to adapt. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while since I was in there, but I didn't see any changes.
    Back in the 70's and 80's Braverman's was pretty much the place to go for anything gun related. The stores décor was dark and old back then and has not changed one bit since then and neither has the neighborhood.
    Toujours prêt

(Elk County)

The store's the same inside, but IMO the neighborhood slid a lot in the past 40 years. It was never a garden spot, but it's a lot worse today.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Philadelphia County)

That neighborhood sounds like quite a place to avoid.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    That neighborhood sounds like quite a place to avoid.
    A lot of people think that because it's a "black" neighborhood, but it's not that bad.
    Well, they used to tout the fact that the crime rate was low, but I think that has been changing for the worse.

The two lane street that ran past the shop is a major through way for thousands on their way to and from work.
    All those whiteys just roll up their windows and look straight ahead for the 3/4 mile stretch of dilapidated, crumbling, vacant storefronts.
    It's sad, really - like any other small town that slowly turns into a ghost town. I've been in the area for 20 years and I never got to see it in it's prime. One by one the shops closed and all that takes their place now are "cash for gold" shops, and budget cellular shops.
    There are still some viable businesses there including a few fast food chains and pharmacies, as well as a few small food joints.
    One side of it blends into an even rougher part of town while another side borders an area of affluent liberals.

I actually took a few photos as I drove through today. Have to see if they turned out OK.

Here's the shop front from their Facebook page...

And here's an article I ran across that has a couple of interior shots.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

I heard Buddy was having health issues and if true this may have been a contributing factor.
    F the NFL!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I heard Buddy was having health issues and if true this may have been a contributing factor.

I used to work there in the 70s and 80s, left there in 87. I have stayed good friends with the family, Buddy has alzheimers pretty bad, at times he looks at me and thinks he knows me. His wife Jeannie is still in pretty good shape.

Bernie Braverman who was partners in the biz with Buddy passed away in December 2009. His Son Jerry passed away February 2013, Jerry worked there until around the early 80s.

I just saw this and I wanted to answer the questions.

Chuck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12