Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Possibly getting a M1 Garand?

Hey there so I got a question, I saw a M1 Garand for sale at a local gun shop for $995 which is right around my price range. I was gunna get a assualt rifle but Im not too sure if I will be able to find one, so heres the dilemma I have. If I get a garand, I'm gunna wanna shoot it every week or so. Does anybody here shoot there garand often? Do you have alot of problems with parts breaking or anything like that since its a older gun? I should also mention that the garand I saw was in pretty good shape too.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Possibly getting a M1 Garand?

There are verry, verry fiew "original" M1"s out there. Most have been rebuilt, some a number of times. Check the barrel really good. Generally M1's for less than a grand have less than good bores. A lot of M1"s were brought in from Korea in the 80's. They will have a importers mark/name stamped on the barrel. Also M1's are for the most part ( just a small number of 308's) are in 30-06. No cheap ammo there.

(Berks County)

No cheap ammo there.
    +1 Mongo, Another thing to remember with the Garand, you do NOT want to use commercial .30-06, you want surplus ammo or if you reload make your own version of M2 ball. You can also read up on using an adjustable gas plug, though I haven't done it myself.

I shoot my Garands as often as I can, I have built a couple, have bought a couple, anything that is wrong with a Garand can be fixed...parts abound and prices are reasonable. The biggest consideration with the platform is ammo and it is drying up and getting pricey.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Northampton County)

They are on Feinstein's ban list.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

If you don't care about getting a showpiece, you can buy a Garand in good working order from the Civilian Marksmanship Program for $625. Take the money you save and buy some milsurp ammo.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    They are on Feinstein's ban list.
    Pretty sure it's the M1 Carbine, not the M1 Garand.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    If you don't care about getting a showpiece, you can buy a Garand in good working order from the Civilian Marksmanship Program for $625. Take the money you save and buy some milsurp ammo.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm
    +1

If you want a shooter (Service Grade) for way under $1000 (now $625) definitely go the CMP route.
    Pick up as much surplus ammo as you can afford while you are there. It's going for approx .50 a round from the CMP store. Otherwise you'll want to start reloading or you'll have to buy the Hornady 30.06 A-Max ammo made specifically for the M1 Garand at a little over a buck a round.
    Last edited by Hawk; December 29th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Pretty sure it's the M1 Carbine, not the M1 Garand.
    Do you have the list? I don't. Word is, it's on there. It was on the last one but removed in committee.

Keep in mind, her new definition of ammunition feeding device is more like NJ. Tube-fed semi-autos would be "Assault Weapons" if they have 1 "military characteristic."

Federal American Eagle also makes 30-06 "For M1 Garand Use" (look for the Garand on the box). It's most likely the same price as the Hornady stuff, plus or minus a few cents, but at least it's another option in case you see it on sale. It has gone up in price consistently every year. (is commercial/hunting 30-06 less expensive than the Federal or Hornady stuff?)

Sooner or later you're going to have to use commercial ammo when all the surplus dries up. Invest in a "adjustable gas plug". They're cheap and they'll give you peace of mind; I don't have one yet (I'm lazy), but I've been eyeballing this:

http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/d...-plug?sef=hcfp

It's new, but supposedly it's been tested. If anything, use it with surplus, the Federal stuff, or Hornady stuff for now to help your gun last longer.

If you see the word "choke" on the tag, it means there's a small arch cut in the op-rod which is supposed to make it more reliable. My Garand was my first gun, so you can imagine my confusion when I saw "choke" on the tag ("what, this isn't a shotgun...").

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by zoanemesis View Post
    Hey there so I got a question, I saw a M1 Garand for sale at a local gun shop for $995 which is right around my price range. I was gunna get a assualt rifle but Im not too sure if I will be able to find one, so heres the dilemma I have. If I get a garand, I'm gunna wanna shoot it every week or so. Does anybody here shoot there garand often? Do you have alot of problems with parts breaking or anything like that since its a older gun? I should also mention that the garand I saw was in pretty good shape too.
    The M1 is tough as nails. Ive had quite a few and currently have 1 springfield and 1 HRA. Make sure you get measurements of the muzzle and throat erosion. The barrel can look fine on the inside and still be shot out. Is it in GI wood? If the shop will let you, try taking a look at the parts to see if they are correct. M1's are awesome. If you can, go check out the CMP. You will most likely get a better rifle for the money.

www.thecmp.org
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast