Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Man Who Shot at Intruder Charged

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...06-670529.html

Man who shot at intruder charged

By PATRICK LESTER
    The Intelligencer

A Doylestown Township man who fired gunshots at one of two men he chased off his property last month has been charged for his role in the early morning incident.

Serge Tancrede, 35, of Steeplechase Drive, was charged with recklessly endangering another person, a crime that carries a maximum two-year prison sentence. Investigators say Tancrede fired six or seven shots from a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun near Doylestown Hunt housing development on May 14. One of the shots was found at a nursing home property.

Tancrede, who has a license to carry a gun, was charged this week following an investigation by Doylestown Township police and the Bucks County District Attorney's Office.

“The bottom line is the district attorney's office, and even us, believe that once (Tancrede) fired a number of rounds ... in a location that he fired them, that he endangered other (people) in that area,” said Lt. Dean Logan of Doylestown Township police.

Doylestown Township Police Chief Stephen White has said there was no indication the man Tancrede chased tried to attack Tancrede. And the law prohibits a civilian from using “deadly force” unless his or her life or another's is in danger. White said police don't have the right to use deadly force in the pursuit of a fleeing felon unless someone's life is in imminent danger.

No one was hit by the bullets fired from Tancrede's gun. One bullet was found at the Greenleaf Nursing and Convalescent Center's property at 400 S. Main St. in Doylestown, Logan said. The incident at the 130-bed nursing home happened in a driveway near an activity room that was empty when the shooting occurred.

Logan said his department is still trying to identify the two men Tancrede said he saw on his property. Tancrede has described them as being between the ages of 18 and 21.

Tancrede, who said he owns a couple of restaurants in Philadelphia and moved into Doylestown Hunt about two years ago, could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

He has said that he was protecting his family and property when he chased the men and shot at one of the men. A neighbor of Tancrede has described him as “probably the sweetest man I have ever met.”

Interviewed the day of the incident, Tancrede told a reporter he “did not fire into anybody's home” and that “I'm sure if anyone else was in my shoes they would have done the same.”

Police said Tancrede found one man on his front porch and another man in a vehicle parked in his driveway at about 4 in the morning. The two men ran when he spotted them, and Tancrede followed one of the men.

I hope to see the guy get acquited cause he was protecting his family and Warminster cops arn't held accountable for shooting at a guy 55 times and hitting him 6. It seems like in the bucks county area, people arn't so gun tolerate and try to crucify gun owners, such as the guy who was arrested for brandishing a firearm but was later acquited.

What do you all think about this?

(Philadelphia County)

If I'm reading that correctly he was firing at a FLEEING person, who didn't even try to attack him, OUTSIDE?

If so I can't say I'm going to lose sleep over him being prosecuted. He could easily have sent a bullet through someone's house into their child's bedroom.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp
    If I'm reading that correctly he was firing at a FLEEING person, who didn't even try to attack him, OUTSIDE?

If so I can't say I'm going to lose sleep over him being prosecuted. He could easily have sent a bullet through someone's house into their child's bedroom.
    +1 Once the threat was diminished(perps fleeing), that should have been the end of his agression. Time to call the cops and file a report.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Berks County)

I disagree, an indvidual who breaks into your home, is likely to break into others; hence, other lives could be endangered. The prescedent has been set that officers can do such, and riddle one's house with up to 60 rounds, and still be acquitted of any wrongdoing. If *anything* the police should be held to higher standards than the public.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp

When the cops shot Sean Sullivan a couple months ago two rounds were found in a childs head board luckily they were eating breakfast.

I just don't like the double standard going on around here. Cops have a license to kill and ordinary citizens are crucified for protecting their family.

(Bucks County)

While I understand the guy's anger, shooting someone while they run away is not my idea of self-defense. I don't know what kind of lines the guy was shooting on, so I can't comment about him putting bystanders at risk.

I could only chuckle at the guy who posted that was ok to shoot these guys because they could be a future danger to others. You, sir, are a dangerous man. Remind me never to rob your house and to stay at least 1500m away from you at all times.

JamesBrown's constant harping at the po-lice also amuses me. Probably because there is a some truth in most of what he says.

(Berks County)

So it's fine for the police to put everyone's life endanger? I gaurantee you that VERY few police check their backstop before firing. Also, you are going on what the newspaper and media have published. Did the intruders turn around while he was chasing them and he thought one might have had a gun? Everyone has a right to defend their property, and I really wouldn't careless if the guy kileld both of them. If he had, it would send a STRONG message to the criminal element in that area that it is better to find legitimate ways of making money. We have become too soft on criminals, and in many cases, it is worth committing the crime even if caught! As George Carling once said, we should have televised beheadings, where when the head is cut off, it rolls down a hill, and people can take bets on what hole the head will fall into. I assure you that crime would be reduced quite quickly.

(Bucks County)

Sorry if I always sound like I hate cops. I just can't stand the cops around here cause they're more like money makers for the towns than protectors.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBrown
    Sorry if I always sound like I hate cops. I just can't stand the cops around here cause they're more like money makers for the towns than protectors.
    There's a valid criticism in that cops now a days have become "Law Enforcement Officers" instead of "Peace Officers" which is what they SHOULD be in my opinion. That is evidenced in the fact that you have small towns with militarized SWAT teams that never get used. Or get used to evict people from houues and crap. Being a cop isn't what it used to be. The cops in my neighborhood don't even say hi to you or make eye contact unless they are trying to arrest you. That is not the way it should be done.
    Last edited by danp; June 17th, 2006 at 11:06 PM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

I understand your frustration completely, JamesBrown. No need to apologize. Like I said. Most of the time I agree with you 100%.

Dan, all I can say about your post is . . . Amen!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast