Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Buying SKS From Private Person

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Am I the only one wondering if the op’s lack of knowledge on Pennsylvania gun laws might have caused him to pass up a $2000 sks?
    I didn't see the going price. I sold mine for 2200 three years ago.
    I'm still pissed.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I didn't see the going price. I sold mine for 2200 three years ago.
    I'm still pissed.
    He said the guy was asking $350 but something about something about the serial number having an arsenal stamp made him not buy it.
    I don’t understand that part, but it makes one wonder if it was something like a NVA star or something...

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    He said the guy was asking $350 but something about something about the serial number having an arsenal stamp made him not buy it.
    I don’t understand that part, but it makes one wonder if it was something like a NVA star or something...
    Theres the foreign military stamped serial, and then theres the serial the importer puts on a gun be in compliance with the law. I didn't see any importer marks, serial or otherwise. Its not a huge issue but I would just have liked clarification of what the FFL said was the serial number. Its really just an additional issue. With the price, bubbaing, and that serial confusion I just didn't want to get it. Idk if importers were using Norinco serials at this time or the gun predates the 1968 law requiring serials. If your going to have a record of a sale of a gun I think it would be a good idea to make sure that the serial your going to use is the serial the gun is on record as being. My Chink Type 53 has the Century Import mark, so does my AK and CZ999 but those seem like the numbers were stamped at the factory for them. All in proper compliance with the law. I didn't see importer marks on the SKS. I just wanted to have a piece of paper in front of me saying what the gun is on record as being. Thats all.

(Indiana County)

Ok, your posts are kinda confusing, but in the interest of commenting on import marks for anyone who finds this thread on a search I’ll give my .02.

Importers were not always required to stamp guns.
    Importers did not always add their own serial number, this is a fairly recent thing in the import firearm world. (Later than 1968)
    It’s very possible to have a surplus gun with an importer mark and no additional info/numbers.

The majority of my milsurps do not have the added importer serial number.

Veteran bring backs will not be import marked and can be in rough shape.
    This comes to the next thing, just because a part is not “original” does not mean it’s bubba’d, some Chinese SKS’ had “jungle” stocks, so having a Chinese sks in a wood stock with a “plastic” handguard might be legit.

The number on the dust cover is the serial number, same as the bolt, same as the gas tube and piston, same as the trigger guard.
    Those numbers are the serial number.

From what you are describing, you may have passed up a heck of a deal on a desirable SKS.

(Allegheny County)

Did you still give him a handi?

(Bucks County)

Sounds like OP unnecessarily passed up a bring-back or older, face-to-face perfectly legal transaction, for no required reasons. All from lack of easy research of law if the question he posted here did not generate good information. Kind of aggravating.

Approximately 2010 I bought an SKS at Cabela's near Hamburg, Pa. It was wrapped in clear plastic. I slung it on the left side of my motorcycle, barrel hanging from front crash bar, rear stock hanging from the saddle trim ring. Rode home in daylight via 22 and PA turnpike, over Rt 1 through towns, without incident. Guess I was lucky since I chose to carry it open and not concealed.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Sounds like OP unnecessarily passed up a bring-back or older, face-to-face perfectly legal transaction, for no required reasons. All from lack of easy research of law if the question he posted here did not generate good information. Kind of aggravating.

Approximately 2010 I bought an SKS at Cabela's near Hamburg, Pa. It was wrapped in clear plastic. I slung it on the left side of my motorcycle, barrel hanging from front crash bar, rear stock hanging from the saddle trim ring. Rode home in daylight via 22 and PA turnpike, over Rt 1 through towns, without incident. Guess I was lucky since I chose to carry it open and not concealed.
    But you were on a motorcycle, therefore it was concealed.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

I would glue on googly eyes and a mustache.

"Disguised", not concealed, is the safest way to go.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lycoming County)

I don't trust any of you people and I have no reason to.
    Then why ask a question?

One thing about this site, we strive for accuracy when it comes to laws. That's why I told you to go brouse around. Most everything you'll see law wise here is backed up by citation, usually multiple times. It's a little more than "some guy on the internet" level in most cases, which you might have noticed if you actually researched things here.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm! View Post
    Putting it in a case makes it concealed carry pretty sure. I don't have an LTCF because I have no friends to list as character references.
    no. Use the case.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast