Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Buying SKS From Private Person

Do you own a car? Would eliminate these arguments.

I would never OC a rifle without a sling. And probably never in general either.

you do not need a license to carry an unloaded rifle at any time wether in a car,truck,bus,bicycle, on foot, etc. you sound like a college kid that took too many bs classes and overthiunks and doesnt listen. put the rifle in a case or wear an orange hat and vest and carry on with your life

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm! View Post

Think if I give him a handy in the bushes I will get a better price? Is that illegal though?
    You could always ask.... it would help offset the price of the case

I just wouldn't want to see anyone get bopped over the head with an SKS

(Allegheny County)

Hell take a big green garbage bag with you, or wrap it up in a blanket, or call Uber. Sheesh!
    Toujours prêt

(Centre County)

Before I got a chance to march down the road with bayonet out and point it at people menacingly while sieg heiling, I decided to walk away. The guy didn't have a 4473 but said he bought it from a local store I wont name and I wasn't completely sure that what he said was the serial was the serial. The number he said was the serial matched the number on the dust cover which looked to me like an Arsenal marking and not an ATF Serial number or whatever terminology you want to use. Also he didn't really give me time to look at the LTCF or ID. In general I went with my gut and inner jew and walked away. Seemed to function fine though

The gun had a redneck mess with it also. Put a stupid rubber buttpad on it and replaced the upper hand guard with a stupid plastic one. In general wasn't in great shape the pictures made it out to be. Not worth the $350 he listed it as and maybe worth the $240 offer he accepted before I walked away. Really poor bargaining on his part which just aswell made me a bit uncomfortable. My mosin was a project gun and that was fun, but I don't want to mess with a gun thats already been messed with.

I think I have lost interest in this now anyway. I mean, those Yugo SKSs were in better shape.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Hell take a big green garbage bag with you, or wrap it up in a blanket, or call Uber. Sheesh!
    Ironically he was driving an Uber car.

(Washington County)

Before I got a chance to march down the road with bayonet out and point it at people menacingly while sieg heiling, I decided to walk away. The guy didn't have a 4473 but said he bought it from a local store I wont name and I wasn't completely sure that what he said was the serial was the serial. The number he said was the serial matched the number on the dust cover which looked to me like an Arsenal marking and not an ATF Serial number or whatever terminology you want to use. Also he didn't really give me time to look at the LTCF or ID. In general I went with my gut and inner jew and walked away. Seemed to function fine though

The gun had a redneck mess with it also. Put a stupid rubber buttpad on it and replaced the upper hand guard with a stupid plastic one. In general wasn't in great shape the pictures made it out to be. Not worth the $350 he listed it as and maybe worth the $240 offer he accepted before I walked away. Really poor bargaining on his part which just aswell made me a bit uncomfortable. My mosin was a project gun and that was fun, but I don't want to mess with a gun thats already been messed with.

I think I have lost interest in this now anyway. I mean, those Yugo SKSs were in better shape.....

Ironically he was driving an Uber car.
    You dont get to keep a copy of the 4473, only the state police form for pistols... sp101 or wtf ever its called.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    You dont get to keep a copy of the 4473, only the state police form for pistols... sp101 or wtf ever its called.
    oh kek, Its been five years since I have done anything with buying/selling guns and I already have a poor memory. I thought I got a carbon copy of a form with the last rifle I bought but I can't remember and I don't have the paperwork stored with me here. Maybe it was a sales receipt or something like that then. I can't really remember. Regardless gun shop is going to give you some sort of paperwork or something.

Regardless it got me out of that deal.
    Last edited by Norm!; September 22nd, 2017 at 02:19 PM.

(Lycoming County)

oh kek, Its been five years since I have done anything with buying/selling guns and I already have a poor memory. I thought I got a carbon copy of a form with the last rifle I bought but I can't remember and I don't have the paperwork stored with me here. Maybe it was a sales receipt or something like that then. I can't really remember. Regardless gun shop is going to give you some sort of paperwork or something.

Regardless it got me out of that deal.
    What if he didn't buy it at a gun shop?

Your grasp of what is and isn't leagally required seems limited. Brouse around some threads here before you set up a buy in the future. It might help.

(Allegheny County)

Glad you walked. No need to buy a bubba SKS for that much, when there are plenty others out there not bubba'd.
    Toujours prêt

2 Final observations/comments.

#1 Don't store your guns in a foam case...they will rust and "grow mold" as you indicated happened. Use a gun sock instead with a lock of some sort.

#2 Just to clarify, putting a unloaded rifle(or handgun) in a case does not make a concealed weapon. If you own a long gun or a handgun...at some point you are going to leave your house with it(unless you have a shooting range at your home). Most people transport guns using a case, to protect the gun. Virtually every hunter/shooter that I have ever seen goes to the woods or range with their gun in a case. Most of them, I would guess, do not have a license to carry firearms.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast