Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Fair price for pistols?

I have a coworker that has two pistols I'm interested in, yet he doesn't know what a fair price for them would be. The first is a Mosin Nagant M1895 and the second pistol is a Czech Walther P38. I checked gunbroker but was unable to find a consistent price. I have no idea the condition the pistols are in, he says they both work. I know if I bought the mosin I probably wouldn't shoot it all that often, but I would enjoy shooting the Walther. Can anyone help me to figure out a fair price to offer him? He's not picky and he also doesn't care too much if he sells them or not. He just doesn't feel the need to keep them if he doesn't use them. Thanks to all in advance.
    Last edited by spandexlurch; September 20th, 2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling correction

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Fair price for pistols?

Take the guns to a friendly dealer/gunsmith, ask for opinion on condition and ballpark price.

(Clearfield County)

The handguns are just "Nagants". "Mosin" is the guy who designed the rifle action.

Run of the mill 40's production re-arsenaled nagants are around $250 from what I've seen. It is one of those things where the rarer variants are worth more money, so it pays to read up on them if you're going to buy one. They also have a degree of practical value these days, since they are the only revolvers you can put a suppressor on.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    The handguns are just "Nagants". "Mosin" is the guy who designed the rifle action.

Run of the mill 40's production re-arsenaled nagants are around $250
    I didn't realize about the mosin part, so thanks for the info. If I remember he wanted $275 for the nagant and he was going to include an old leather holster and the ammo he had for it. He didn't know what he wanted for the Walther though.

(Bucks County)

A Czech Walther P-38 sounds interesting. I believe the Germans took over Czech facilities and after they "left", the Czechs continued the manufacturing of small arms of German design. If it has red grips*, grab it. I saw cases of the Nagants at gun shows for $195 a couple of years ago.

Some Czech info: https://www.bing.com/search?q=P-38+m...eea247a2382745

Grip Panels is a study. Some are more rare than others. I understood the reddish brown are impossible to find of late except for high prices.

The grips can help with evaluating the pistol's worth. http://www.p38guns.com/Gripinfo.htm
    Last edited by Bang; September 20th, 2017 at 11:29 PM.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    I didn't realize about the mosin part, so thanks for the info. If I remember he wanted $275 for the nagant and he was going to include an old leather holster and the ammo he had for it. He didn't know what he wanted for the Walther though.
    Depending on the ammo that isn't a bad deal, 7.62x38r isn't the cheapest stuff around

(York County)

This: www.p38forum.com I used to frequent the forum all the time to learn. I even bought a Czech built gun from the classified section a few years ago.

Czech built guns were assigned the code cyq during the war and were generally the lowest quality in appearance with prominent tool marks. Not uncommon if made during the war, in the postwar were briefly built by the Czech government. Check the forum threads for detailed info on them. The P38 has a complicated history and a whole lot affects value and how much an example is worth in today's market. Just keep in mind the following: is the gun all matching (frame, barrel, slide), is it refinished (many of the captured guns imported from Russia were), and who used it postwar (and how they marked it).

Any gun with an alloy frame is not WW 2 era!

Any matching WW 2 era gun is a desirable collector's item. Grip color doesn't matter in assigning value, though some contractors who made grips are more sought after than others (by the way, bright red-orange grips are something the Russians tended to add when reconditioning captured guns). Grips can be black, a sort of chocolate brown or a red-brown on war time production, but there is huge variation in texture and tone due to vagrancies of production batches in the late war period.

I can't give a value due to all the possible variations out there, but I'd jump on any decent Czech (Spreewerk) gun sold around $500 in a heartbeat.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    This: www.p38forum.com I used to frequent the forum all the time to learn. I even bought a Czech built gun from the classified section a few years ago.

Czech built guns were assigned the code cyq during the war and were generally the lowest quality in appearance with prominent tool marks. Not uncommon if made during the war, in the postwar were briefly built by the Czech government. Check the forum threads for detailed info on them. The P38 has a complicated history and a whole lot affects value and how much an example is worth in today's market. Just keep in mind the following: is the gun all matching (frame, barrel, slide), is it refinished (many of the captured guns imported from Russia were), and who used it postwar (and how they marked it).

Any gun with an alloy frame is not WW 2 era!

Any matching WW 2 era gun is a desirable collector's item. Grip color doesn't matter in assigning value, though some contractors who made grips are more sought after than others (by the way, bright red-orange grips are something the Russians tended to add when reconditioning captured guns). Grips can be black, a sort of chocolate brown or a red-brown on war time production, but there is huge variation in texture and tone due to vagrancies of production batches in the late war period.

I can't give a value due to all the possible variations out there, but I'd jump on any decent Czech (Spreewerk) gun sold around $500 in a heartbeat.
    Thank you. I am going to attempt to set a time with him in the near future to look at the guns.

(Dauphin County)

So I finally have pictures, but can't post them from my phone. The Nagant is a 1940 manufactured import. The P38 is a Carl Walther waffenfabrik ulm/do 9mm. The walther is a post war model with the Walther banner on the left side of the slide. It looks like the grip is either a bakelite or plastic.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I had some interest in nagant revolvers when they were in the $100-125 price range. I actually have a few boxes of surplus ammo with the intent to buy one years ago. When their prices went up and I saw one for $175, my interest changed to tokarevs which were a mere $25 more. I guess they have a high collectable value now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast