Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canik

Default Canik

I've never heard of Canik before I bumped into them last night and found this...

At a price point of around $500!
    I thought maybe they were looking to be the next Highpoint but then got into some reviews and I don't know if it was hype but most people had very little if anything bad to say.

http://www.canikusa.com/tp9sfx/

Who here has experience with these things?

Default Re: Canik

Been around for awhile,have not heard of one issues,many features and considering one to the collection at $ 349 a very good deal.i have shot one and very accurate although a bit larger than my Glocks.

(Lehigh County)

Surprised you haven't heard of them before. They've been growing in popularity quite a bit the past couple of years even though they've been around a bit. That TP9SFX is on my list. The earlier models had a decocker which they took a lot of slack over and rightfully so to me. Still, I don't think I've seen a negative review yet on them especially for what you get for the money

(Delaware County)

I just picked up a TP9SFX and am very happy with it. It feels and points very nice and the trigger is awesome. I also put a Vortex Venom 3MOA red dot on it. Now the only problem I did run into was that it did not like FreedomMunition ammo. I tried a bunch of different ammo through it (FreedomMunition, Federal, Winchester, Lawman and Remington) FMJ and hollow point. With every round of only the FreedomMunition it would fail to eject. Now I have heard that the recoil springs are very tight out of the factory and causes this issue. I read that you can keep your slide locked back for a couple weeks and this takes some of the tightness out (I am trying this now) or you can purchase a different recoil spring and this should solve the issue. I am trying the method of keeping my slide locked back for a while to see if this helps break it in if not I heard good things about Springco.com recoil springs and guide rods, The only downside with that is they cost $80 to fix the issue. I always could shoot other ammo also but I have about 2,000 rounds of the FreedomMunitions ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by rckeystone View Post
    Surprised you haven't heard of them before.
    I don't to subscribe to all the magazines and stuff anymore so I'm kinda out of the loop.
    My wife also puts a limit on my gun hobby so maybe it's best I'm not up on these things.
    Last night was the first time in a while I could just sit down and research some guns.
    Last edited by P89; September 20th, 2017 at 09:37 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Every time I hear the name it reminds me of Canada. Canik - Canuck
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Every time I hear the name it reminds me of Canada. Canik - Canuck
    That was my initial thought too.

"Oh, look...a Canadian firearms company?"

(Northampton County)

Canik's are Turkish made firearms , pronounced as Jan-ik. They make some very nice CZ 75 clones as well. Some of their striker fired models are under $300 right now. I have a custom TP9Sa in my collection and have had several of this new model come into my shop for transfer. They have very nice triggers for a under $500 pistol.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Philadelphia County)

I bought a TP9SF Elite a few months. The first time I took it out to the range, the mags would not drop free and were getting stuck inside the magwell. I had to pry them out. Emailed Century and they provided a shipping label right away and my FFL shipped it out for me. They had the gun for just about 2 weeks before I received an email with tracking info for the return package. They ended up keeping my gun and sent me a new one. I never got a clear explanation as to what exactly was wrong, but the paperwork said they kept it for a "quality control investigation."

The new pistol would only fire 124 grain ammo. constant failures, stovepipes and weak ejections from 115 grain ammo. Emailed them again and was provided with a new recoil spring. The gun has worked perfectly ever since.
    Apparently some models made in 2016 had recoil springs that were way too tight and other models seem to have magwells that are out of spec. Canik/ Century Arms seems to do a pretty decent about owning up to the issues and fixing the problem guns.

I've know a couple people who own various Canik guns and they've never had an issue with theirs.

(Lackawanna County)

I have a tp9sf elite and a tp9sfx. They are really solid for the price point. I've had no issues with mine. They are both a bit oversprung but most are. Trigger is good. Sights are good as they are warren tacticals. Bull barrels. If you didn't know the price you woudlnt think they came in as low as they do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast