Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default SilencerCo Maxim 50 (non NFA) .50 Cal Integrally Suppressed Muzzleloader

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...erco-maxim-50/

Basically a Traditions Vortek Inline Muzzleloader with a SilencerCo suppressor permanently welded on. Non NFA, no tax stamp needed. But at $999, you're definitely paying a SilencerCo tax.

I'm very tempted, though it's a pretty big amount of cash for something that I won't be able to shoot as often as everything else (I don't shoot black powder too much, because it's a pain in the ass to clean). Note that approved loads are very limited. Only recommended powder is 100gr or less of BlackHorn 209, and only projectiles that do not use a sabot or wad are allowed. Which means none of my current stuff works.

Maybe this will help get some of the fudds to get behind the HPA or SHARE act?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SilencerCo Maxim 50 (non NFA) .50 Cal Integrally Suppressed Muzzleloader

139db? A un-suppressed 12 gauge is 140db.
    Toujours prêt

Default Re: SilencerCo Maxim 50 (non NFA) .50 Cal Integrally Suppressed Muzzleloader

I wouldn't shell out the money for it. Looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    It was worth a try for proof of concept but IMO a suppressor has no place on a muzzleloader.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    139db? A un-suppressed 12 gauge is 140db.
    Are you sure about that? I would expect closer to 155 dB for a 12 gauge... 140 dB is more like an unsuppressed .22 rifle. Heck, my Mk23 with the KAC suppressor (.45 ACP) supposedly meters around 137 dB.

(Bucks County)

Black powder generates a lot of gas to get the bullet going. I guess that is why it takes a coffee sized can to give mediocre results.

I know the press release says its OK but be careful. There were some issues with suppressors on air rifles at one time. The previous thinking is it is an evil silencer and an NFA item. It is irrelevant that it is not used on something classified as a firearm. Hope the new administration worked this out.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Are you sure about that? I would expect closer to 155 dB for a 12 gauge... 140 dB is more like an unsuppressed .22 rifle. Heck, my Mk23 with the KAC suppressor (.45 ACP) supposedly meters around 137 dB.
    The point is that 139db is still pretty loud. At that level you will suffer some hearing damage. How much depends on duration and distance to source.
    Toujours prêt