Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default aluminum barrel?

yup...you read that right.

My father did quick draw cowboy shooting. one of his guns was a ruger new Blackhawk in 45 colt. the barrel is undoubtedly aluminum.

I know he did wax and magnum primer for quick draw. I looked at the inside of the barrel, and it's rifled.

is there anyway this is factory? would putting 45 colt through it be suicide? the front sight was removed, so I am curious if he had it custom made? cylinder and frame are stainless, grip frame aluminum.

(I gotta shoot this one. not sure if I want to try quick draw or not.)
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: aluminum barrel?

Better research that- I remember Sammy Davis Jr. and a few other Hollywood types competing in fast draw in the 60's.
    From what I remember, the guns were highly modified and used special buscadero and "walk and draw" holsters with steel deflection plates in them.

Some were not designed for live ammo- blanks and wax were popular. I doubt Ruger made the barrel. It might be possible to shoot it if it is an aluminum shroud over a steel liner.
    Good luck researching it- and don't shoot it until you know. It might just be an Alumabomb waiting to happen.

Of course if you must shoot it, I'd go with 300 gr. Buffalo Bore rounds and live stream it. Make sure someone holds your beer.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

the alumabomb is my biggest concern. I have never heard of anyone cutting rifling in a barrel for blanks or wax...why I figured i'd ask here.

as far as finding a stainless barrel, any ideas? if I find a (pretty sure) 4.75" I would want to have the front sight removed (tip of the hat to my father)

(gotta give him credit. he was .24 of a second with wax)
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post

It might be possible to shoot it if it is an aluminum shroud over a steel liner.
    I think You may be onto something. i'm looking down the muzzle... it does NOT look like aluminum

(Bucks County)

and, IT'S MAGNETIC!!!!

(Bucks County)

It's probably a liner. In fact, it's probably a liner from Redman's.
    Look at the muzzle with a magnifying glass to detect the seam and determine the diameter of the liner.
    Check it against the diameter of current production barrel liners- if it's the same or larger, you might be ok with shooting the various "cowboy loads" in it.
    I say that only as a possibility, without seeing it, it could still be a grenade.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Centre County)

I can assure you it's not a Ruger barrel. It is probably an aftermarket lined barrel. Probably the original owner wanted something lighter for the competitions he/she were shooting. Bruce Warren makes aluminum barrels for S&W's but I don't know if others do also (I would think so though).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I put a Tactical Solutions alumn barrel on my 10/22, it has a steel sleeve.

(Westmoreland County)

American Derringer has an ultralight model and there specs claim "all aluminum frame and barrel " no mention of a liner ? All low pressure ctgs though .

http://www.amderringer.com/m7.html

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    It's probably a liner. In fact, it's probably a liner from Redman's.
    Look at the muzzle with a magnifying glass to detect the seam and determine the diameter of the liner.
    Check it against the diameter of current production barrel liners- if it's the same or larger, you might be ok with shooting the various "cowboy loads" in it.
    I say that only as a possibility, without seeing it, it could still be a grenade.
    yeah...we may be making that appointment in the near future.

I wouldn't be using it that soon. in the future, however, it may be kinda cool...as a tip of the hat to the old man, and all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast