Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Blood Thinners and Bruising from Shouldering a Rifle ?

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss this issue.After 2-3 rounds from my 7mm-08 I bruise like i was beaten up even with substantial padding to the shoulder.How have you dealt with this issue ?

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Blood Thinners and Bruising from Shouldering a Rifle ?

what thinners are you on?
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post
    what thinners are you on?
    Effient 10mg and baby aspirin.

(Bucks County)

Plavix and baby aspirin here . . . I have no idea if Plavix and Effient are equivalent. I've not had any issues shooting 12 ga loads, and 308, 30-06, and 338LM. The rifles are all very heavy though with the each rig weighing near twice as much as the average factory rifle. All that probably doesn't help you, but maybe this will:

Despite its 14+ lb weight, the recoil shock of my 338LM made my back crackle like a chiropractor was working on me lol. So I bought a Caldwell (Past) Mag Plus Recoil Pad. Not pretty, but completely solved the problem.

That pad or the Super Mag Plus version should work for you. It's likely a lot cheaper and more certain a fix than adding something to the stock. If your use of Effient is a temporary post-procedure medication, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

(Lancaster County)

Marine 2,
    This is not a problem to be taken lightly or tongue in cheek, so I wont joke. The blood thinners are doing what they are supposed to do. Unfortunately, this means you will bruise/bleed more easily. YOU ARE NOT A WIMP. There are things you must consider before undertaking simple tasks that you are used to doing. You WILL bleed / bruise much more easily including your shoulder and more importantly YOUR BRAIN, simple falls that jostle your noggin can cause detrimental bleeds in your brain (stroke). Please be careful. I'm not close, but if you want to borrow my Savage .22 for an extended period of time you are more than welcome. Small targets (Necco wafers at 25 yards) are hard and a lot of fun... If you have specific Med questions please P.M. me

Cb R.Ph. registered pharmacist
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Monroe County)

Plavix and 81mg baby aspirin after my stroke. 2 years of bruising and even getting bloody if I mow past the pine trees they stopped the Plavix.................thank god.

(Carbon County)

I was on coumadin. After nearly bleeding out internally twice (2nd time 6 days in intensive care 3 units of blood)

they switched me to eliquis and no problems 3 years later.

still bruise but nothing like when on the coumadin
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Elk County)

I have sustained bruising on my shoulder from the time I first fired a centerfire rifle (30-30 Model 94) and each time since. The petechiae will also appear from pack straps or the shoulder strap from a messenger bag or a rifle. This is without any blood thinner, fish oil, or other such agents.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

How is this for a bruise? It did get bigger and went down to my wrist. My son Sean who is an ER Doc told me to be careful about blood in my joints.

I sited in my son Mike's 870 slug gun for him. He did get this buck 3 days later in DE so it was worth it. I was on Effient and a Baby aspirin at the time. I am only on a baby aspirin now.

(Delaware County)

My heart goes out to the OP and others that have the same problem. I have not had to take blood thinners, but I do have high blood pressure. As a result I was told by Navy docs to rake an aspirin every day. That was decades ago. As I aged conderably since then I began to get bruises whenever I bumped into anything. Sometimes I looked like a trudgen had been used on me. Long story short: last year mt GP told me to stop taking the aspirin because it benefits for folks my age are now of little value. I stopped and the bruising went away.

So I feel for those who have take potent blood thinners. It is simply hard to have to expliant eh bruises to observers. I a taulh had a nurse who saw an arm full of bruises ask me I was being physically abused by someone. I responded by saying no, and if anyone tried to do that they would more than abused. They would get dead.

I did learn during mu bruising period to be aware of the items that bruise you. Door jams, pointed moldings on stair wells, etc. Situational awareness keeps us alive and it can reduce bruising.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast