Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Today was almost the day. Canine attack!

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Bad part is had your dog been on a leash the Shepard would have had an easy target, you not so much
    Yep. At least there was some distance between them.
    Years ago I was walking our dog when another dog came charging out of a yard and we proceeded to do a circular dance with my dog running around me trying to escape.
    Just as I was starting to swing to kick this dog in the ribs, it broke off and went back into it's yard.

No way to know how things may turn out, but I think if my dog had gotten away from me with this dog in chase, it would have continued it's attack. I think I persuaded it to do otherwise with my shouting and close proximity.

No gun would have been of any help in my case because it all happened faster than you can imagine.
    My dog would never go back up that particular street again. Even years later when I tried walking him that way again, his ears dropped, and his tail went down, so I went another way.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

A neighbors very aggressive pit bull got out of its fenced in yard four years ago in July. I was reseating a skate walkway at the time so I was on my knees. I did not see the dog approaching from my rear. I only know it was there when it suddenly appeared on my left side and bit me in the forearm. He would not release. I froze the arm to avoid motivating him to thrash about with my arm in his mouth. I hit him in the head with my hand hoping he would release. He did not. He started to pull back. I could see and feel his incisors elongating the puncture wounds in my arm. That was it for me. I pulled my 9mm and shot the dog in the head.

The owner came out after hearing a gunshot. He bagan to berate me for killing his dog while watching the blood inning down my arm and drip off my hand. He called 911 on his mobile phone. Another neigh to, a nurse came out with a clean towel and wrapped my arm. Two police cars pulled up and two offers approached. The owner demanded I be arrested. The officers asked me what happened. I explained and unwrapped my arm. There several deep punctures and a lot of blood. My neighbor nurse had brought out several towels, and she re wrapped it with a clean one.

The police told me that they had to take temporary possession of my gun. They removed it from the holster, and they dropped the magazine and ejected the round in the chamber. They explained to the owner that in light of my injury there were no grounds for arrest. While the owners ranted the LEOS were writing on a pad. It turned out to be a citation of the owner for failing to leash his dog while off his own property. He lost his dog and $100 in a fine.

Worst of it all was when the emergency doc called the police to see if they knew if the dog had had its annual shots. The police inquired and called back about fifteen minutes. later. The dog had not had shots for two years. That is when I had to wait until the SPCA tested the dead dog for rabies. Fortunately it did not have rabies, and I avaoided a horrible treatment series.

The crowning glory was that the dog owner was cited additionally for allowing an unprotected dog to be in public leash or not. I was very pleased. Oh, the officers did not confiscate my gun. They holesetered it without the mag in it and returned the mag and chambered round to me at that time. One of them said that I should have just shot the dog as soon as it bit me and would not release rather than try get it to release. They were right. Hoping for no next time, but is there is there will be a dead dog.

(Delaware County)

I understand what your saying about my dog not being leashed. In this instance, I'm afraid things might have been worse if I had him tethered to me. Teeth be damned, that dog and I would have been in a street brawl, which I probably would have lost. I've done that circular dance before trying to protect my dog when leashed. A lot smaller dog than this one.
    I decided to let it go and not talk to the police. I usually see one of them sitting somewhere in my walks with the dog on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I'm sure at some point, I'll talk to one of them.
    The G42 makes a poor club, something bigger and heavier I think. My mod15 I think, or the ole p226.
    Looking back, I should have been more alert to where I was. That won't happen again. {I hope}
    Someone asked, no, I live in Ridley Township.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12