Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Today was almost the day. Canine attack!

Just a little back ground here.
    I have a family in the neighborhood which are less than desirable people to be polite about it. Husband's mother died years ago and they got the house free and clear. They were living some where in Chester prior to squatting in my neighborhood. Years ago I rescued a dog from them because of neglect. Surprised the father hasn't died from drinking yet.
    One son and one daughter {daughter has a child} moved back in about a year ago. Son has this huge German Shepherd.

This morning I was on my way back from walking my dog around 08:00 this morning. I generally don't leash him since he is very well trained and that hour of the morning I don't see many people.
    I was coming down the side walk with Cody about 4 ft in front of me past the ''dump''. This is the family described above obviously. I look up and the mother is standing in the doorway with the front door open, when all the sudden from behind her comes this Shepherd charging down the steps . He charges toward my dog, Cody takes off towards our house with this dog snapping at his rear end.

The mother is yelling for the dog, I blurt out, ''I'll kill that f***ing dog! I reach in my back pocket and pull out a G42 and chase after both dogs going down the street. After running about 25 yards the Shepherd breaks off the chase and starts heading towards me. Now I'm between him and the screaming woman. ''Don't you shoot my dog!''

Now, I've got the gun up, aimed at the dog's chest as he walks back towards me, looking at me. He gets with in about 30 feet of me and starts to veer out into the street to avoid me. I stood still, muzzle pointed at the dog until he turn away and headed back home. All the while I'm looking up the street for people in my line of sight.

This is not the first time the dog has gotten out. Other people have had issues with the family and the dog getting out.
    Anyway, Cody got away unhurt, and I didn't have to defend myself. I was so mad!! I guess yelling, I'll kill that f***ing dog might not have been the best thing. It kinda just came out.
    I thought they might call the police, but they didn't. I was going to, but Cody and I were no worse for wear. I still might stop down the township building and talk to police.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Today was almost the day. Canine attack!

Put in a call to animal control so they can come out and see if the dog has a license and up to date shots.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Allegheny County)

Lawyer in PA told me a story something along these lines, but not nearly as dramatic...ended up in court when lady called police to complain about someone brandishing a gun.....

It is an unforunate decision to have to make: call police and let yours be the first story they hear, or stick with the "don't talk to police" doctrine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Put in a call to animal control so they can come out and see if the dog has a license and up to date shots.
    and the German Sheppard too.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    and the German Sheppard too.
    Haha! yes,the German Shepherd too.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Allegheny County)

I don't think I'd tell the police. At least not the full version. You could both end up getting fined for the same thing since your dog wasn't under your control either.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I don't think I'd tell the police. At least not the full version. You could both end up getting fined for the same thing since your dog wasn't under your control either.
    This was my first instinct as well. I'll add that if you get caught lying to the police, e.g. telling them your dog was leashed, they'll most likely believe her version of the facts. Might be best to let sleeping dogs lie in this case, so to speak. It would only take the police interviewing one neighbor for some one to say, "That Mr. Grapes dog is so sweet it wouldn't hurt a fly. Did you know he doesn't even have to leash it when they walk every morning."
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Berks County)

I second (or third) the part about your dog being unleashed. Unfortunately in today's society it's not a good idea, no matter how safe you feel about it and I hope you keep him leashed from here on out. Expect the unexpected when you're out. Furthermore, just think, if yours had been leashed you probably could have shot the ****'s dog and gotten away with it and that would be one less problem in the 'hood.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This^^^
    But sounds like the dog would still have come after them even if the ops dog was on a leash.
    Was this in springfield?

(Susquehanna County)

Bad part is had your dog been on a leash the Shepard would have had an easy target, you not so much
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast