Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Why do much dislike toward Kahr pistols?

I've never shot one or owned one but they always seemed like a nice pistol to me.

Hokkmike Guest

http://www.ranker.com/list/best-hand...werner-brandes

Here it is ranked 27th out of all pistol brands. But then they have Beretta at #1. I don't know about that either.

They have been doing single stack subcompact concealed carry longer than most, there was a time when your only choices were Kahr, Walther PPS, or KelTec Pf9.

I don't think Kahr is bad per se, there are just a lot more options now as the market has matured & Kahr was pretty stagnant for a while.

The new S models sort of bring them up to date with front serrations & an accessory rail... features that everything they compete against already had (more or less).

(Allegheny County)

I've owned 3 Kahr pistols. The P380, CM9 and CM40. Absolutely loved the small size of all mentioned and the quality of build.. Of the three I sold the P380 and the 40.

I bought the P380 ithe first year it came out and had lots of issues, I was issued a new frame. It was still finiky and I never could put full trust in it. The 40 was a 5 plus 1 cannon and multiple times the slide would not fully return after shooting. I had to push it into place. (yes the recoil spring was positioned correctly) I decided to sell it and pick up a S&W shield instead.

The CM9 was 100% good to go right from the start, I dont ever see myself parting with it. I also had the opportunity to shoot the Kahr CW 45, overall the best trigger amoung the four. Ultimately the owner did replace it with a Shield in 45 he didn't have any issues but felt as do I that the Shield is better made.

The only thing I dont like about Kahr pistols is the little slide stop spring. Although I've never had a problem or anyone i know, I just view as a weak spot for issues.
    Last edited by K.C.; September 18th, 2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Lancaster County)

My thoughts are a lot of folks are turned off by the fact they are owned by Moon Kook-jin, also known as Justin Moon, is a Korean American businessman.He is the son of Sun Myung Moon, the founder of the Unification Church (the Moonies) He is the founder and owner of Kahr Arms, an American small arms manufacturer and Chairman of the Sun Moon Education Foundation

But they do own Thompson/Auto Ordinance, so cant be all that bad....Id own one

I don't own one and have never shot one. All I know is they are expensive and have a reputation of being unreliable.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Delaware County)

When I decided to buy a pocket pistol I checked out the Kahn, Ruger, and Remington. Went to 380 as arthritis has really weakened my hands and so recoil and racking had to be taken into consideration. The Kahn was clearly very well made, but the two things I did not like were the takedown procedure and the recoil spring making racking difficult for me. I also read that it had feed problems with some ammo. I load it with Underwood Xtreme Defender for CC/SD. Went to the Underwood sight and it cautioned that people had reported the pocket Kahrs had feed problems. That nixed it for me for sure because in 380 it is the best SD ammo you can use. It penetrates more than and cuts a PWC wider than HP,

The Ruger Lc380 was much easier to manage. But the Remington could be racked with just a finger and a thumb. It's all metal frame was also a factor. No tools required for takedown. Locked breech design reduces recoil. Now that I have fired few hundred rounds through it, I love the gun.

(Washington County)

I owned a kahr. Didn't like it. Every time I shot it I felt like something was missing. The plastic was cheap. Bends at the end of the barrel after several rounds. Wasnt balanced very good. Trigger was okay. Better then S&W IMO but not the best I've pulled either.

I had a few failures but nothing crazy. Generally failure to feed on the first round was the biggest and most common.

My BFR was bought long before Kahr took over Magnum Research and I have yet to own a Kahr.
    However yesterday I had the chance to shoot the new MR9 w/ 4.5" barrels and I liked it, even if they took some cues from Glock.
    At 40 yards (working my way back after every 2 shots) I was on steel with a gun I had all of two minutes to get familiar with.
    I may be new pistol time for me.

(Lackawanna County)

They are actually supposed to be working on a comp gun. One thing with them is they are extremely stiff to work the action on. Pretty heavily oversprung and the trigger isn't very good.

Their comp guns have been in the works forever now. Like two plus years and haven't come out of vapor ware status. I've been to their factory store multiple times and never see anything I have to have

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast