Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Why do much dislike toward Kahr pistols?

I've read a bunch of information on the Glock 43, Shield 9 and Sig P938 and they all seem like good choices for a micro 9.
    If I were in the market for one I would have a tough choice to make for sure. Luckily I'm not though because Ive owned a Kahr PM9 for about twelve years and it's been reliable and accurate enough for carry since the day I bought it. Kahr pistols came up often in the "pistol break in" thread but mine was flawless right out of the box. I also own a K40 and P45 which I never had a problem with although both of those were purchased used.

So my question simply put to those with first hand experience is why so much dislike for Kahr pistols? If you own a P or PM series pistol do you feel the C or CM models tarnished the company name? I'm assuming the trigger will come up often but let's remember it is that way by design. I'm sure S&W didn't intend to make their trigger gritty and Glock didn't shoot for too much over travel. My point is that Kahr nailed what they were going for.

Even if you've never owned one tell me what you've heard or what you thought after you handled one at a shop and handed it right back to the salesman. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Brian
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Default Re: Why do much dislike toward Kahr pistols?

My kahr CM9 runs perfect..., as long as it's 124gr HSTs instead of my normal 147gr.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Montgomery County)

I dont have one, but when I am in the Poconos I always visit their factory outlet store to fondle the latest models.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I have a CM9 and a P380 for pocket carry. The CM9 runs great, it's accurate, and it doesn't beat my hand up too much. I rarely use the P380. I bought it and a Recluse holster for deep concealment, but the CM9 conceals so well that it makes more sense to pocket carry a 9mm instead of a .380. The CM9 conceals even better with a King Tuck.

I really don't care if everybody else goes hating on Kahr, I'm happy with mine. The buttery-smooth long-pull trigger is different than all of my other guns, but it doesn't bother me - it works. I'm in the same boat - I bought mine years ago, I'd probably make a different choice if I was buying today, but now that I have it, I don't see how the other brands would be any better for a pocket 9mm.
    Last edited by scruff; September 17th, 2017 at 11:43 PM.

(Columbia County)

I owned one when they first came out on the market. I don’t remember the model although at that time they only had 2-3 models out, it was the small framed model. At that time there wasn't a lot of single stack small framed handguns on the market. It work well, but I didn’t like the trigger, the way it fit my hand, and the disassembly procedure. I remember back then they were not cheap it was about $600.00.
    Overall I don’t think they are very popular. No branches of the military or specialized units have adopted them. I don’t know of any of any police departments issuing a Kahr to their officers. Due to lack of popularity and more competition, gun shops are less likely to have them on display which means they are not going to sell any unless someone orders one.

(Berks County)

Kahr has a fan site on Facebook , Kahr Nation. Lots of love there.

(Allegheny County)

I have a Kahr P9 Covert and carry it daily even with my G23 or G19. The Covert becomes my bug when it isn't a primary.
    A few weeks ago, a member advertised a CW9 for just over a couple hundred. I bought it.

The Covert had initial problems. There was a double reset, the first of which did not reset the trigger.
    Sent it back without firing a shot.
    Kahr replaced most of the internals, polished the feed ramp and turned the gun around in a week. Gave me a check for $10 for my trouble.
    Flawless ever since. Accurate, dependable and with the short grip of a PM9 and the longer bbl of a P9, it's as goid as it gets (for me).
    Perhaps the downside to Kahr is the long trigger pull and reset before firing a second shot.

The pistol itself is great.
    I have looked at the Sig P938 but passed.
    I haven't looked too hard at the G43.

Was actually thinking about having the CW grip cut down to the Covert dimension.
    I lost a pinky finger so a shorter grip works even better. Ha.
    Shorter grip, better concealment.
    Of course, all this is just my opinion and you know how I feel about those.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    I owned one when they first came out on the market. I don’t remember the model although at that time they only had 2-3 models out, it was the small framed model. At that time there wasn't a lot of single stack small framed handguns on the market. It work well, but I didn’t like the trigger, the way it fit my hand, and the disassembly procedure. I remember back then they were not cheap it was about $600.00.
    Overall I don’t think they are very popular. No branches of the military or specialized units have adopted them. I don’t know of any of any police departments issuing a Kahr to their officers. Due to lack of popularity and more competition, gun shops are less likely to have them on display which means they are not going to sell any unless someone orders one.
    Of course their guns aren't used by the military or law enforcement. They don't make a full-size duty pistol. They don't have any long-barrel competition pistols either. Their whole line is geared towards concealed carry - small, narrow single-stacks.

(Luzerne County)

i had a 40. The gun worked flawlessly. I just did not like the way it torqued my wrist. I had the same issue with a glock in 40
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Of course their guns aren't used by the military or law enforcement. They don't make a full-size duty pistol. They don't have any long-barrel competition pistols either. Their whole line is geared towards concealed carry - small, narrow single-stacks.
    There are gun games that don't require a long barrel.
    There are dedicated BUG and CC competitions.
    Maybe the Kahr is more represented there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast