Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Question about a friend

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    What crimes would he be committing? Affording a lawyer is not really an option for him, he has a wife and child. While they make decent money, they don't make lawyer hiring kind of money.
    When someone is charged with multiple crimes for lying to to an FFL and lying to the PSP and being in possession of a firearm while prohibited, it's amazing how they manage to find "lawyer hiring kind of money" to keep them out of jail. And that's AFTER they find bail money.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Affording a lawyer is not really an option for him, he has a wife and child.
    Best advice is for him to concentrate his energies on supporting his wife and child, refraining from alcohol and avoiding guns and anything else that may land him in jail. As his friend, consider supporting him in THESE efforts. Good luck.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Best advice is for him to concentrate his energies on supporting his wife and child, refraining from alcohol and avoiding guns and anything else that may land him in jail. As his friend, consider supporting him in THESE efforts. Good luck.
    Agree... his family is his priority, versus a firearm.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Agree... his family is his priority, versus a firearm.
    He want's to be able to protect his family if need be and he feels a gun would assist him in that respect. I've just given him the number to a pro gun attorney, so he may look into finding out what it may take to restore his rights.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    When someone is charged with multiple crimes for lying to to an FFL and lying to the PSP and being in possession of a firearm while prohibited, it's amazing how they manage to find "lawyer hiring kind of money" to keep them out of jail. And that's AFTER they find bail money.
    Could he be charged with a crime if he was being 100% honest on the forms or do FFl's automatically stop the transaction if they see you answer yes to any of those questions. I've never been denied a firearm purchase, so that's why I ask.

(Lycoming County)

What crimes would he be committing? Affording a lawyer is not really an option for him, he has a wife and child. While they make decent money, they don't make lawyer hiring kind of money.
    Others have answered this, and they are correct. Lying on the 4473 will get him eventually, whether it's intentional or not. Very bad way to find out if you're prohibited.

I guess then I have a follow up question. His wife is not prohibited, can she buy firearms and he use them as long as he is not the owner? I mean can he use them at a range to just target shoot if he is there with his wife or another non prohibited person. Example: I want to take him out to the range just to have some fun, if the firearms are all mine, and I handle all transport, are we breaking the law if he shoots my guns?
    Not just no, but hell no. He can't touch a firearm if he's prohibited. If she isn't she can own, but they would have to be locked away from him. Her buying a gun with the intention of him using it would probably be considered a straw purchase and could land both of them in legal trouble. Not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    ^^^this man^^^

Listen to him. Hire him if you're close. The only way he's going to resolve this issue legally is with a lawyer. If he can't afford one, then accept a firearm isn't going to be an option right now and move on.

Sorry for the bad news, but actions have consequences and he's finding out what they are right now. Right or wrong he can't have a firearm now. There's no cheap or simple solution to the problem. It's probably going to cost a good deal of time and money.

(Allegheny County)

If he's prohibited, he can't even have access to ammo - not a case, not a box, not a single round.

These are the reasons he needs to find out if he's prohibited or not.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

He want's to be able to protect his family if need be and he feels a gun would assist him in that respect. I've just given him the number to a pro gun attorney, so he may look into finding out what it may take to restore his rights.
    Protecting his family is important. Help him protect them by keeping him away from alcohol and 4473 forms.

Outside of protecting them from his own mistakes, the best bet is to learn situational awareness (This will protect you way better than a firearm).
    Beyond that he can have pepper spray or a tazer or something. Good situational awareness will avoid 90% of hostile situations, and pepper is better than nothing.

No, its not as good as a firearm, but decisions have consequences and he is dealing with that now.
    Sic semper tyrannis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123