Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: To get involved or not?

It's not PC to point out the truth, which is that the women usually side with the abuser once the police get there, if the abuser is a current boyfriend or spouse.

Cops hate to get involved in domestic incidents, even though they have a paper trail sending them to the scene, and they won't get arrested like this volunteer was. Cops know that if they show up and pull the abuser off the victim, and the abuser puts up a fight, the victim will generally attack the cops to protect the abuser or win brownie points or whatever's going on in her co-dependent little brain.

That being said, I wouldn't just stand there and watch a woman get strangled to death. Pro tip: Stopping the assault by kicking the abuser in the head or nuts, or by whacking him with a 2X4, is much less likely to result in your arrest than using a gun. The system hates you if you have a gun, and it hates you worse if you discharge it.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Exactly, Ill always trust my judgement and get involved. If it was your daughter, wife kid would you want somebody to step in?
    Sure I would. I'd also like a Ferrari FF. Neither have anything to do with whether one should get involved in someone else's drama.

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Yep. Good Samaritan got arrested. That should never have happened and there should certainly be no threat of charges. Couldn't blame the guy one bit if the next time it happens he just turns the volume up on the TV a little.
    Question: "Have you ever been arrested?"

Good Samaritan: "Yes"

Question: "Why?"

Good Samaritan: "I shot somebody...but he deserved it!"

Question: "Why did you bother applying for this job? Get the hell out of here."

Quote Originally Posted by GL
    Pro tip: Stopping the assault by kicking the abuser in the head or nuts, or by whacking him with a 2X4, is much less likely to result in your arrest than using a gun.
    Thanks for the validation.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by allenr View Post
    I would have acted, but I would not have shot him. The story says the man was on top of her and choking her. That would most likely mean he was kneeling over her. I would have come up behind him and boxed his ears. While he was recovering from that pain and disorientation I would have pur a rear strangle hold on him, exerting just enough force to cut off air until he let her go. It is real easy to knock a person out with that hold. If that did not work and he stayed aggressive I would have used mt all metal pocket 380 as an impromptu black jack. Only as a last resort would I have shot him.
    Good strategy MG, but someone needs to be dialing 911 while you're choking the thug.

If the guy is on top and strangling her while she is shouting to stop, that is a life threatening situation and shooting is easily justified.

If she decides after the fact to remain "loyal" to the guy, then you are screwed.

Your best bet is a third witness. Either a video camera or another adult.

Then draw and fire.
    Sic semper tyrannis

Why do people use leg warmers? A hit in the femoral artery can be just as effective as one in the chest. It just takes longer to bleed out. There is only one kind of dead_______________________
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lancaster County)

Knock him out and walk away.

Hokkmike Guest

Sounds like an appropriate (life threatening) intervention.

Just imagine if the woman had turned her story and said, "he tried to hurt my man" in a fit pf remorse.

(Berks County)

No good deed shall go unpunished. For the same reasons that the police don't want to get involved in domestic disputes I would be very careful of my actions (armchair handling of the situation is a breeze). I am not trained to tackle, contain and maim so doing anything that might have this guy getting too close to me and coming my way is out of the question. A witness or two would be great, another witness to go grab the guy would work for me too. Some way to get the guy's attention without shooting him while keeping him safe distance away with a gun pointed at him would work for me. I wonder exactly what I would do in the heat of that moment but I wouldn't just watch.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's not PC to point out the truth, which is that the women usually side with the abuser once the police get there, if the abuser is a current boyfriend or spouse.
    More than once over the years I have seen the aftermath, where a victim in an ER or ICU is crying out to see her beloved.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    More than once over the years I have seen the aftermath, where a victim in an ER or ICU is crying out to see her beloved.
    Then winds up there herself a few weeks later.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast